Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I'm a day late for this but better late then

never.

It was yesterday to the day 23 years ago the hockey world learned of the Big Trade: Wayne Gretzky to LA Kings. That was when hockey went from being a game to a business. I was 35 years old and I had just come in from my 3pm coffee break working with the Army & Navy department store warehouse. I think I had ordered some lunch at Joe's, a cafeteria in the basement of The Boardwalk market. When I heard the news coming through the back sliding doors at Cobogo I was devastated. It was Bob Kennedy that told me as I was walking through on that hot August summer day. I cried that day. The Oilers have won the Stanley Cup only once after that in 1990. A very sad day for Oiler fans and the end of an era. How odd everything seemed to end at once within a few short years of that incident. The year after, I lost my job at the warehouse. Even music for me changed what with the emergence of Rap in 1990, which disenfranchised me. My world changed forever August 9th 1988.

Fast forward to the present: I got to my bank at noon yesterday and made the deposit and then right after that went to the pharmacy to collect my Pro-line winnings. No snags. I called Anne at 4:30pm said she could have $25. I had my lunch: Rice and a teriyaki processed BBQ riblet type thing. It was good. I even had a great day sales wise as well.

Coast's topics tonight are about why the US is in Afghanistan and about a defence attorney defending John Gacy. Yawn.

Well the flash mobs in London England have been at it again. I don't understand why the Government doesn't just shut the Internet down? Seems simple on the surface, just pull the plug. So what's the root of the problem? Personally I think its boredom. Kids are bored. Their music isn't exiting not like the punk movement back in the mid 1970's, so kids can't rally behind something like the music. Punk rock wasn't about social anarchy, back then Punk was about rebelling against the state of the music industry of the time. Back then fashion was the banner of the punk rock movement, the music drove it to make a point. Sometimes unconsciously (The Ramones) .Sometimes consciously (The Clash/SexPistols)  Today the kids are using social media. They say their unemployed they got no direction. I believe it brings us back to the music. It's that simple. Since Rap and Hip-hop surfaced some 25 years ago, that's all the kids have had as an outlet to release its angst. Even punk rock died in 1982 when the winds of music changed direction. The perpetrators of rap/hip-hop, kept their sound alive longer then they should have and as a result kids today are paying the price for their transgressions. The youth culture has always been centered around the music of the times. contemporary music reflects attitudes of the street, always has. Even music of the Elvis era lasted roughly 10 years before it gave its last gasp and made way for the music of the 60's and the British invasion, which lasted about 8 years. When the Beatles split in 1970 music of the youth changed again. Disco, barely lasted 5 years on the musical radar map until Punk/New Wave surfaced. The music of the 80's had its own sound but after the 1980's everything was Rap/hip-hop. And that's been around now for 25 years. Now the kids are paying the price.

I've got Magix's tech support number and they seem to be out of the US (Nevada) which means no currency exchange (I think, which is good news.) I've got the number just in case and they even have a tech support line to help me with the install. Cool and I'll be going to get the credit card next Monday and place the order. In the meantime, I'll use the demo of Melodyne editor. Any way's that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment