Friday, July 29, 2022

I'd be in remiss

if I didn't mention why this day has huge historical implications for me. It was on this day 35 years ago was the infamous Black Friday. Not to be confused with online shopping. This Black Friday was the F5 tornado that tore through here on that fateful day which took the lives of 21 people. I was 34 years old and living in a studio apartment on 156th street, close to the Petro Can. I was at Cobogo warehouse downtown at the time. It was about 3pm when I heard the news about the tornado. I went to the roof of the building to check. The rain came down hard, thick. Ok, nothing to see here. Our hometime was 4:30. When we went through the front door, nothing. No wind. The clouds looked threatening. Is this the eye of the storm? When I got home to pay the rent the landlady and I looked out the back of their apartment and the clouds had a spooky green tint about them. I didn't have a phone at the time but mom and dad called the LL and she reached me. I caught the events as they were unfolding during the evening and weekend. The weather conditions right now were very similar to that day. Black Friday tornado was a once-in-a-lifetime event here in Edmonton. I didn't know it at the time but the tornado took down the screen of the Belmont theatre. 

Not a lot going on right now just trying to beat the heat. Klondike days is underway, thanks to a 2-year absence. Heritage days is happening this weekend as well. 

This month is the lodge BBQ. That should be fun. August 24th Dan and I volunteer at fort Edmonton park at the Mason Lodge. Other than that not much else is going on. July & August are usually slow months anyway. Anyway, that's all for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment