Monday, April 25, 2011

We left out of here

about 4pm yesterday for the Ramada/Edmonton Inn on Kingsway next to the Air museum. It was a beautiful Spring day, little wind. The best part about the day is I was with Anne and we got out together. We made the right connections, five minute wait for our bus, the LRT was running on a Sunday for a change. We had a five minute wait for the #8 at Rexall through the ghetto part of Edmonton (118th Ave West of Rexall). Everywhere you turned to look there was either an auto body shop/yard or a street church or something boarded up. The City is trying hard to clean this area up but its going to take years.

We had about a 10 minute wait at Kingsway. Other then the rubble a backhoe was trying to remove the only thing left of the McDonald's there was the Golden arch. The city is getting ready to  bring the NAIT LRT line here right up along the Royal Alex hospital ending right across the street from us and they look like the city wants to remove more homes along the LRT path to NAIT. They should have this line completed by April 2014. It's 3 years away. Its going to be easier for a lot of students to get to Grant MacEwan University and shoppers to Kingsway. I imagine the terminal where we were waiting for our bus is going to be torn down within the next 3 years to make way for a new station similar to the one over there at Southgate. The current Kingsway bus terminal will be right near the Royal Alex. We almost went to Moxy's there on the corner. Anne hadn't been in there for awhile and I think the last time I was in there was 1994 when I was taking a math up grader course at AVC/NorQuest. The class wanted to have a finale get together with the teacher etc. It was a good time but Anne didn't want to there. 

Finally our bus came along. It loops twice and returns before heading out. I love summer Sundays. I love the way how lonely and quiet the City is. Just as we got off Anne said she needed to go over to Canadian tire to get some garbage bags and suggested I save us a seat. I wasn't very happy about this. I expected her to be about 15 minutes so I timed her on my ITouch. My wifi settings said they had wifi but I think that's just for hotel customers. I should have brought my camera along. Next time were out and about, I will. I had to fend off the waitress a few times before Anne came over before my timer went off.

I was all prepared to have their Sunday buffet but Anne said they don't have that anymore, they just have their 3 course prime rib dinner. I said ok but then disappointed I changed my order to the usual standby: Bacon cheeseburger with fries. Seemed like a long ways to go for a cheeseburger when for all it did me I could have for the same money, walked over to Wendy's here for the same thing but I got to see where the City was as far as progress in the LRT. I read in my Connect2Edmonton message board the other day how the McDonald's is being torn down and it was nice to get out anyway. I think there we were the only ones in the cafe that time of day because their Sunday breakfast brunch is the most popular. For a fair sized parking lot, it must have been about 20% full of cars. None the less I enjoyed my meal despite missing the Canucks/Hawks game.

We had a ten minute wait for the bus back to Kingsway as it left exactly at 6:30pm. We had a short wait at Kingsway but this drunken sweaty native sat down by the courtesy seats in front of us wanting to shake my hand. No way. I don't know where that hand was. I smiled and nodded. The worst was we had to endure the Oder hoping he wouldn't barf all over us as the bus waited for what seemed like an eternity at the turn light. Thank God he left when the bus pulled into the terminal. The guy got on favouring his "broken" arm. Why the driver let him on other then that in the first place I don't know. That part was a little scary. I was glad to get on the LRT platform at Rexall. A brief wait and to Clairview and a brief wait for the #11 bus and home.

We got inside the apartment at 7pm for the 3rd period. It was tied at 2. Beautiful. Anne went up to Walmart to do some shopping, while I held down the fort to watch the rest of the game. I was hoping for a game #7 in this series, Vancouver scored 3-2 and Chicago got a penalty shot making it tied at 3 and into the first overtime. About halfway through the 2nd OT Chicago scored for a game #7 in Vancouver. Hard to believe at one point Vancouver had a 3 game lead on the Hawks in the series and was ready to close them out last week. I'm hoping for Chicago 8th place win the game Tuesday. That'd be beautiful and it'd shut all those Canuck fans up, President's trophy winners, first in the league. The Hawks were my fathers team in the 1960's. The original 6. I also don't like how arrogant the Canuck fans are like they are expecting to go all the way to the finale, "when we get the cup," this, "When we get the Cup that," my brothers are big on bragging like this especially on Facebook. They bash the Oilers (my team) but say nothing about the Leafs in no better position then we were this last season. I don't say anything like, "And how many Stanley Cups have the Canucks won in the last 40 years?" I can't wait for game #7 when (and if) the Chicago win and let my Facebook pause speak for itself.

Anne made me a nice supper and we watched the news and the new season of Doctor Who. Anyway, that was my nice day off yesterday and I have the whole week off, with pay.Sorry for the long post. Anyway, that's about all for now

No comments:

Post a Comment