Wednesday, July 31, 2024

It was this date on a

Friday 37 years ago we had the infamouse Black Friday tornado here in Edmonton. I was in my mid 30s living at 9710 156th street working at the Army & Navy warehouse dowtown about 2 blocks.

where Rogers Place arena is today. The day was just like any other day. I recall how we got a lot of rain ~ 2pm. It was slow going work wise. One of the guys told me after returning from the cafeteria in the Boardwalk next door what was going on. It was our 3pm break. "Right now? Wow." When I left after work, it was nice outside. When I got home to pay August rent my Land Lord told me what was going on. My parents in Vancouver had called hering the news. I leaarned that weekend that 21 people passed away. Quite the ordeal.

Incidently, where the Belmont shopping centre currently is, was where the Belmont Drive in was located. It boasted one of the most well built movie screens of its day. The tornado ripped through that like the screen was cardboard. That's a day I'll never forget. Anyway, that's all for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment