Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Its no state secret that I'm not a morning person

but running low on insulin prompted me to keep a 10:30am appointment to my Northgate mall PCN. It was cold out there for early October. We usually see temps around 13 +16 in early October. This is mid November weather before the snow flies. 

Update: Forgot to mention this but the Edmonton Oilers named Connor McDavid their team Captain. McDavid is the youngest team Captain ever in NHL history. That's why its so significant. Not quite as dramatic as tossing a beer can in baseball but noteworthy for this blog. 

Earlier this month our Alberta NDP in keeping with its campaign promise to raise the minimum rage. I could have worked Xentel by home last summer but Notley raised the minimum wage from $10.20 to $11.20. There were unhappy stirrings in the small business community and Xentel pulled the plug on Alberta, laying off anyone working from home. Then this month the minimum wage increased to $12.20/ hour and the small business community is responding accordingly. For restaurants, they will be cutting shifts, retailers will need to raise their prices and lay off staff. This is all because the NDP wants to raise the minimum wage here in Alberta to $15/hour. Thanks to Dan Mullet's FB page for this one


                                    

 This will have a negative ripple affect as it will lose jobs and further kill the economy already in a depressed state because of low oil prices. This could impact my market research job making it harder to bid for contracts. No contracts no job for me. My job I'm heading to later this afternoon could also be at risk as more and more people outside of this industry test the waters. I had trouble finding a seat last night. I'm $1 more then the minimum wage but next year when the minimum wage goes to $13 then what? I'm just thankful I'll be on full pension a year from now. Then there is the Provincial carbon tax. Hey newcomers, welcome to Alberta.

The other part of today was after my PCN, I wanted to head out to my market research job to pick up a small pay cheque but my pharmy guy was running late and I'd never make it back in time for lunch and head into the job. As it is, I've got enough time to eat a small snack and head out to work. I'll be making that trip tomorrow afternoon in my suite, bank a bite to eat and lodge. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment