Friday, December 30, 2016

Over the past couple of days

I've been doing some family genealogy on my mothers side. My grandmother was Mina Hoy Johnston. Her and her husband Henry Hoy lived at 53 Elliott street in New Westminster. Henry Hoy was a contractor and Mayor of New Westminster in 1894. Mina Hoy married E.L. Johnston. They had 3 children, my Uncle Ed, Francis and my mother Elizabeth. Their residence was one of 3 historical homes the City of New Westminster moved in the summer of June 1990, to preserve the homes  from the wrecking ball. The moving of these 3 homes was a major undertaking. In our case to move the home to where it sits now at 202 3rd street Second Ave. in New Westminster BC. In order to move the home, the city put the home on a flatbed truck, removed power lines and trimmed trees to get it up to where it is today. My mom was invited to attend a city event when the home was settled. They named it Hoy house. I believe it's now a rooming house. Its the big blue house on the corner of Second & third street. The link to the above story is here type in moving houses.



Last night on Coast to coast, the topic was about The Egyptian Sphynx and the pyramids. The Sphynx and the Egyptian pyramids have long been a fascinating topic of mine. I've always had this notion that the Egyptian pyramids were built from the top down from a mountain of the same limestone material. One caller had the right idea but didn't mention the use of hot air balloons. My variation is on the hot air balloon theory, which advances the notion that crews had to carve the limestone blocks on location. The granite rock is another matter. Place stone block A on top of stone block B & C. Wrap rope between stones. The balloons could be controlled by rope or pulleys as crews on the ground and guided in place according to the design. The engineering would also account for the way there was no gaps between each stone because they could be just dropped into place. The ancient Egyptians didn't need to lift the blocks very high. The whole operation might need just a handful of people. Some rooms in the Gaza pyramid show hieroglyphs that suggest balloons. How they would heat the air I don't know. Its just a silly theory of mine that has a few holes. Here's a better way of explaining some of what I mean it somewhat supporting my theory.
      
                               Image may contain: text

The Oilers just came off their long break hosting the LA Kings that played the night before. A fresh LA Kings team I'm sure would have walked all over us. Like Arizona the Kings have owned the Oilers but not yesterday. I purposefully missed the first period because usually nothing happens. I was right. The Oilers won 3-1 earning 2 points. The Oilers play Vancouver Canucks Saturday. Anyway, that's all for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment