Sunday, June 2, 2013

I'll be leaving out of hereat about

6pm for my meeting at 7. I hope it goes well.

I had this memory, it's not significant to anyone but me but it's a memory that hasn't surfaced in years. Whilst growing up in my home town, I recall dad and mom and us kids visiting these people in Vancouver. Since they were barely an hour away from us I believe it was in the Oakridge area. I can't recall if they were cousins of ours or friends of Dad's or what ever. Our family was friends with the Reynolds. They'd come over to our place to play cards with mom and dad        drink beer that sort of thing but I believe they lived in Millardville not in the middle of suburban Vancouver. Who these people our parents drove us to, visit were, I have no idea. They had kids and we seemed to have got along with them. I recall they lived on the corner of some street and we had to climb these side stairs to get to a upper patio or something. It could have been the Reynolds for all we  know. I remember one thing Mr's Reynolds said as that kind of struck me as unkind. Maybe it was the alcohol talking, I didn't know but but she said something to my mom about me that I wouldn't amount to anything. I can almost hear  her as if she was right here. "He'll survive alright but he wont amount to anything." In a way she was right. But this wasn't at the location mentioned above it was mentioned at our place and after my back operation. The comments I think were based upon that and our economy at the time. I think to my feeble knowledge, that was the last time they were  invited to our place. I know it sounds like 2 different things here but that location and the Reynolds for some reason mirror each other. Like there's some relationship there. I didn't have a lot of friends before and or after the back operation. 

A bit of history (long) In the early 1970's my main interest was wargaming and trying to find either a job or a place to live. In the mid to late 70's things stabilized a bit There were those 5 months in Calgary in 1976/77. I had that brief period between the time I got back to the Anderson place/Star Wars where I was waiting for my UI claim. Then Edmonton, where I remained ever since. For the most part in the late 70's living with my parents until they moved back to Coquitlam in the fall of 1979, I had always been working but in the early 1980's it was hard to find a fordable place to live. We didn't have the food bank in those days. Before I tried to live again in Calgary in 1981, for about 4 months, I stayed with Richard a couple of times at his apartment by the Jasper Avenue ravine, then again in the General apartments (across the street and south from the General hospital). Then I met Theresa and moved in with her for a couple of years. In 1983 I got injured on the job and had a good 6 months off but I was living a few blocks off Whyte ave and 91st ave. Then in the Spring of 1983 still working for the Army & Navy at the warehouse, I lived at 9544 155th street. That's where I had the basement suite, just a small room about the size of my office and where I watched the Edmonton Oiler's win their first Stanley Cup. That house is still there today. I stayed there until March 1985 and got my first apartment in a apartment building 9710 156th street. I stayed there for 10 years. Then I moved across the street to the Villa Maria apartment (I was doing some post secondary upgrading at the time with AVC-NorQuest) Then a few blocks North on 156th street behind the Saxony (Now Howard Johnson's) Hotel, then over to another apartment across the street from the old Jasper place legion. The small building. That's when I decided I had enough of being on UI and went to look up Rob at Xentel. I didn't stay long in the place across the street from the Legion. Next up I moved to about 101st and 119th behind the grassy knoll by the traffic circle. That's when I met Anne at Xentel and barely 2 months in that dive, I moved in with her and the rest is history. I stayed with Xentel until last December 12th as they closed the Edmonton office. I'd still be there today. 

Looks like were getting a bit of light rain out there. I'm only out in it long enough to get from my place to the bus shelter and from Clareview upstairs to the train platform and from my bus stop across the street to the Lodge. I'll bring my Warhammer 40K book along too keep me company. 

At the moment I'm enjoying my morning coffee. I had about 7.5 hours of sleep over night, listened to a bit of Coast before I passed out. Anyway, that's about all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment