Saturday, August 25, 2018

Having a nice evening off to myself

staying indoors due too all the smoke coming from BC. The smoke from the forest fires are spreading across the country. I've never seen anything like this in my life. Their supposed to be getting some rain overnight and Sunday.

When I first came out here to Edmonton in 1978 40 years ago this month/week it was for my brothers wedding. The reception would be almost over with by the time I post this. I was here living at the time with mom and dad. Hard to believe I was 25 years old back then. Mom worked at the Charles Camsell hospital, just a block away. Dad was not working. He was about ready to retire. I didn't know if I wanted to remain here in Edmonton back then. I was on unemployment insurance. I made the decision to remain here. Mom convinced me that there was a lot of work here at the time and that was true. I was living on this location where Douglas college is now in a old grimy apartment on resource that were not sustainable. I felt bad I left behind a new colour tv, new stereo, all my wargames, books, the works. And I hadn't even paid for Septembers rent at $300/month. I was barely getting that a month on unemployment. it was an easy decision once my brothers wife's father got me a security guard job at the municipal airport where the city is constructing Blatchford. You can read all about Blatchford that here. 

Here in Alberta meanwhile, the Alberta Government will increase the minimum wage to $15/hour. Its good for some people, others not so good. For me, it means I'm going to have to scale back my hours. If our household makes too much money I could risk losing a lot of things we get for free, like my meds, our rec centre pass, other subsidies. I'll be scaling back to 3 days/week which is 30 hours on a pay cheque. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment