Thursday, August 9, 2018

I'd be in remiss if I didn't post today

of all days. What with me being an Oilers fan since 1978. Today marks the 30th anniversary of arguably the biggest trade in the NHL. I was working for a local regional department store here in Edmonton, in what is now called Cobogo lofts. Back then this was on a Tuesday. I had just come in from Joes café with my lunch at 3pm and Bob was sitting in the back by the receiving door when he with the radio on. We we're both in shock when we heard the news. "I promised Mess, I wouldn't do this," the rest of that line is history. I cried for a long time after that. I kind of suspected something was going to happen when Gretzky married actress Janet Jones the month before. I was only 35 years old, still thin and had teeth, employed in a full time job. It was the end of an era. I look back to those times 30 years ago, wow. So much history. 


The other item making news today is the weather. Right now its:

And at this hour that's not even close to accurate as its now +35! Friday should be the end of our heat wave. My poor wife has to go into work today. Its going to be cooler in her office that's for sure. I'm glad I have most of this week off. I'm hoping for more time off. I think this is a summer record. Anyway, that's about all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment