Friday, May 13, 2011

I would have posted yesterday but Blogger was down

I had a leisurely commute in this morning with my laptop and the extension power cord just in case the Ubuntu install etc was going to be longer then I expected. Keith was going to leave at noon for personal reasons but said he’d return before the end of the shift. To our delight Gerry ended it early at 2pm. I hung around for awhile waiting for Keith using one of the East Indian kids (Said’s) Iphone which he activated his hot spot so I could use to get email, surfing that kind of thing, while I waited for Keith. Keith returned at 3pm and I forgot to call Anne but Keith got into the Bios so we could have my laptop boot from Cd. He got the disk working but he didn’t have the time to install the other 2 pieces of software for me but I’m to call him Sunday night and he’ll let me know if he can install it for me Monday. He stressed that before I decide to install Linux I back everything up, get some DVD’s and back up. But I have a 250Gb hard drive. I went to Future shop immediately after work and had a look around at the DVD’s. The clerk there said DVD’s can only back up 5Gb’s at a time. Not good. I knew external hard drives were affordable more now then a year ago. The clerk showed me this 1TB external drive by iomega, for $110 the price was right. I paid for it with cash and unpacked my laptop, set it up and opened the tiny box. Was this it? All I got was a black box the size of a pack of a Iphone, no software. I read the small “quick start guide,” (in 8 different languages) set it up and it was working like a charm. 3 hours latter and at only 45% done Anne had called and I updated her. I went to Superstore to get pop and returned and it was at 62%. I read some more from my Star Wars book, watch the end of a Garry Cooper western the back up process was done. I went to “My computer” and the drive shows up as about 30% full. Great. I just wish the back up was a little faster. Other then that, for a Friday the 13th, I had a great day… so far. Anne isn’t home yet. Anyway, that’s about all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment