Thursday, June 18, 2015

I haven't heard anything yet from

my place of employment For the most part we're shut down for the week awaiting the new project, which I have few details and which I can't disclose. I'll know after the weekend. I'm reluctant to activate my ei on hold at the moment because a full week has yet gone by. I'll activate it as well after the weekend as most likely my next cheque after this upcoming one will be for half a week. That one week ei will make up the difference. 

Lately I've been watching a lot of cool Jams on YouTube where producers are using Korg Volca's. These step sequencer boxes about the size of a trade paperback novel sync up to each other and have buttons and dials to augment the bpm, pitch, envelope etc of the sounds on board the units. There are 4 in this line: Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample. They all sync to each other and have a big sound. The Volca's reside in the Techno/House genre of music but I like this style. Its very hypnotic style and quite creative and versatile. Some of these Jams can go on for 5-10 minutes or longer. What appeals to me is that most if not all of these jams are without the aid of a computer, other then maybe to process the sound. Sure I can go down to the Makerspace in the library for a couple of hours and mess around on the guitar and bass guitar and use their computers and I still might do that but for now this is a minimum investment. The first thing though I want to get is a camera to record these jams:

So since I hooked up with Tim a few months ago he was telling me about his GoPro camera business. These GoPro's though are very pricey at close to $500 each! I've been asking on YouTube music jammers what camera's they use for filming their jams. I get all kinds of responses. Some people use GoPro, some use fancy SLR cameras, some use their iPhone cameras. Some use other Action cams. I searched on YouTube for Action cams. I took a look at the tiny Polaroid Cube. Its got a metallic base and slightly smaller then a golf ball for about $100. Then I saw its competitor the Mobius camera. The Mobius is about the size of a box of tic-tacks, shoots wide angle, 1080P, 720p and charges via a usb cable with a lot of features. It's under a $100 on Ebay Canada. On the forums people are saying it's giving GoPro a run for its money. I mean, who would want to spend nearly $500 for a GoPro camera when the Mobius will do the same thing if not better for under a $100? And that includes some accessories. Once I know what's going on with my job I'm uploading some cash to Pay pal. I' ve ordered from Ebay before. Its safe and secure. I don't mind waiting 4-6 weeks to receive the unit. By that time, I'll have enough funds to buy the Korg Electribe sampler and a couple of Volca's. I'm also going to tie the Jams to be live using Periscope.

Other then all of the above, I'm just holding down the fort as Anne's working this evening. We're up early tomorrow for the inspector. Anne's confident we have no issues. I hope so, anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment