Saturday, April 22, 2017

My 9am commute weather wasn't that bad heading into work

this morning. I met my old colleague from other jobs and this one, at Southgate. We were a bit late getting in but I got a hot chocolate and my "tools" and started calling. We had a low turnout. I had a great day and caught my #6 bus back to Southgate but the weather turned ugly fast with a rain and snow mix. Plus the wind had picked up. Even though it was about +1*  There was my Clareview train heading away from me. It was bitter cold, as it felt like -20* on the lrt platform. so I caught the Nait train to University station and out to Clareview and home. Anne was making me a nice lunch, the good oven macaroni and cheese with chicken fingers and a few of those spicy potato circle patties I like. Very nice. Then she went off to work and I proceeded to watch a recording of Smackdown Live. That fast forward is a life saver.

I've been following US President Donald Trump's rhetoric about blaming Canada for diary farmers woes in Wisconsin this week. In fact its not this country's fault here for diary woes in the US. Wisconsin has more milk cows then in all of Canada. As of January 2016 Canada (including Alberta) has about 956,000 Wisconsin has according to the Wisconsin marketing board 1,279,000 dairy cows that in 2016 produced over 30,000,000 pounds of milk. Wisconsin's economic diary impact provides over $43 billion annually. Even in 2016 we were buying about $200 million of American milk. By the same token our diary industry puts about $6.7billion back into our economy. I feel bad for Wisconsin farmers that could lose the family farm but blaming Canada isn't the answer here. You can read more here from Wisconsin farmers themselves but hold on, that's not the real issue here. The World Trade Organization (WTO) is crying foul from a deal made (including Canada) some 20 years ago. The real issue is this country and unfiltered milk. Trump may have something here.

My Oilers Sharks game is about to get underway. If my team wins, great. If not its game #7 here in Edmonton. Win or lose, I'm happy with the result of this playoff round this time. There's always next year. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment