Sunday, July 1, 2018

Having a nice long weekend

that started Thursday night, so I have including today 2 more days off. I adjusted my summer hours but I'm going to make a slight tweak and have Friday, Saturday, Sunday off. I need two days off to myself.

Its Canada Day and looks like a trade war is about to escalate between Canada and the US. From my "research" nobody comes out the winner in these kinds of things. Canada got hit with tariffs on steel and aluminum. Trump whines that Canada's diary supply management system is unfair but the supply management system is nothing compared to the $Billions of subsidies the US already offers on its own diary industry. The problem with the diary industry for example is that the state of Wisconsin alone produces more milk then the whole of Canada. The real problem is the oversupply of milk that drive prices down. American farmers already export five times as much dairy product to Canada — under tariff-free quotas worth over $550 million a year — as flows in the other direction. Personally I don't mind free trade as long as its fair and balanced.

The other night at Commonwealth stadium, our Edmonton Eskimo's (EE logo on helmets) or Esks, hosted the BC lions. I didn't watch the game but it was military appreciation night as 29K showed up. The CFL is basically AHL level quality. Just a small portion of the 9 teams are competitive. Back in the 90's we'd get about 40k in attendance and occasionally about 50k. I think the reasons for the slow attendance lately is there are other entertainment options, like the Edmonton Prospects (Baseball) that posted a perfect game the other day. Plus there is other things in the City going on like the Works festival near the ledge etc. I'm hoping as the Esks win more games (now 2-1) attendance will be up. The home team won Friday night 41-22. 

This week I'm back to work Tuesday-Friday, from 4-9. I was offered 1-9 but I can't do those hours anymore. They are taking their toll on me. I don't want to be working full time at the age of 66 (August) closing in on 70. So I scaled my days back Tuesday-Friday, 4-9. I've had a couple slow years in the 70's and 90's but since after my back operation in 1968 I've been more or less working steady. Even more so since Anne and I got married in  2000. Anyway, that's all for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment