Friday, August 17, 2012

I'm a day late and a

buck short with this but it was yesterday August 16th 1977 when Elvis died. Now I was never a fan or anything although I did like a few songs. But I recall exactly where I was when that event occurred, at a pool side home in North Vancouver with a wargaming friend of mine. We heard the news on the radio. I don't think this registered on my young friend at the time but when I got home early that evening it was all over the news. Wow, that was 35 years ago yesterday. I was just 24 years old. The news of Elvis death probably held the same impact for me as when Kurt Cobane died in 1994. It didn't register, but Elvis was a legend in the business and like him and Joe Strummer, Joey Ramone and to some extent, Freddy Mercury. Lennon, Strummer, Joey were the 3 big names that made an impact on me. When Elvis died it felt like a bit of my childhood ended, musically speaking. Elvis was never an inspiration to me musically, not like Strummer, or Joey Ramone. Not even the deaths of Jim Morrison and or George Harrison phase me. I'm sure when Mick Jagger goes that will really make me cry. The musical artists that made me cry when they died the most were John Lennon, Joe Strummer, Joey Ramone and most recently David Jones from the Monkees. Elvis passing away was a year before I moved here to Edmonton on this week 1978 and my life changed for ever. 

I had a good day pulling in about $350 and a hundred on card for the afternoon. Our dialer's were shut down again and we had a 40 minute lunch break and then because of our dialer's shut off again we didn't get underway until about 6pm. It was like a 6 hour shift that we got paid for.

We also got to watch a bit of the Hamilton/Winnipeg CFL game. I had it to tie and it was up until about the 4 minute  mark, the the Bombers had to make a 7 point play spoiling my Proline ticket. Crazy.

It's Friday at last and it's a 7.5 hour shift for me and off to my bank and then home. Because Anne's been coming home so late because she gets off at 10pm and gets the 10:20pm bus and a pit stop to Superstore she doesn't get home until about 11:20pm and she didn't get home this last night until about 11:30pm, yeesh. I'm thinking about seeing if she could make a pre-made pasta dish so I can just heat and serve. Anyway's that's about all for now. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment