Sunday, July 3, 2016

If this was way back

in 2014, some of those resume's I sent out last month would have bore fruit by now. At that time the economy was above water. Now 2 years later, its 1 resume for about 200. The competition for jobs is very high. I have a job, just no work. I wanted to work where my wife works but they have this test as part of the initial training. I needed 80% passing grade before they would hire me, and I got roughly 45%. That job would have been good for me about now. Its steady and I'd always have hours.

I'm currently doing some family genealogy, and that's been keeping me busy this weekend. Its odd that a distant cousin from the 1880s was a Mayor of New Westminster and my uncle was a Mayor of New West as well. Civic engagement runs in the family. My mom was the youngest of 3 children. My uncle Ed was a ship master on a BC ferry, they had 2 boys (twins) and they went on to become pilots for Air Canada. My mom received her pilots license at a very young age, and my father flew bomber aircraft over the Atlantic ocean for use in the European theatre of operations. Aviation was an important factor in my family. When I was 15 before I learned I had scoliosis I wanted to join the navy. We know how that story developed. My aunt married a high ranking figure in the CBC's LA bureau. And then there's me. I've done a lot in my 63 years and even had my picture on the front page of the Edmonton Sun in 1998. I had my 15 minutes of fame. Now the only thing I'm waiting for is my pension. How pathetic. 

Its common knowledge that the Oilers signed Milan Lucic Friday. Oiler nation was going nuts. Lucic said the main contributing factor for signing a $6M/year salary with the Oilers, wasn't the money. It's a chance to play with Connor McDavid. He sees the Oilers going on to great things with McDavid and he wants to be a part of it. Last season CMD played 45 games and got 16 goals. How far will the Oilers get with a healthy CMD? Hard to say.   

Anyway, not much more then that is going on...its a Sunday. I'm beginning to feel a bit anxious about getting back to work. I've had enough time off already. When I'm on pension, I'll work 3-4 days a week just to prevent myself from going nuts like this. Anyway, that's all for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment