Saturday, August 30, 2014

Labour day long weekends are usually

pretty good with lots of football and decent weather. In my case I have 3 days off and I wont get vacation pay because of the following:

I lost my job at Direct Buy last night. I really enjoyed the work but if you don't get the public relation's/pr's (the people you try and get the visitors pass and the information brochure) the directors can't can't sell them memberships. The more pr's into the showroom the better chances the directors can turn them into members. It gets even harder if most of the pr's are 2-5 hours out of town. Then you got to sort out those that are old people because old people don't do reno's or projects. Then our source was called "club general." I'm lucky if I get 5-8 pr's in a 5.5 hour shift. I had 3 presentations but none of them converted into members. A basic membership is $6,000 but if your a homeowner spending $10-$15,000 and you can save anywhere from 50% or more off a store's sale price because your buying direct, it makes sense. I got the news my job at Direct buy was in jeopardy 2 weeks ago August 16th. The days leading up to that was great. On that Saturday, that's when the boom was lowered. I don't get a member between then and last night, I'm gone. I was sure with all the pr's I was getting, some of them had to come in. Only 3 in August. One of the directors last night said that all that was coming in for the night were what they call "bionics." These are people that book from the website. None of them were mine. It was sad leaving. My ride gave me her # so I can find out say around mid November check in and get a update. I paid her the fee for gas. I asked if she would be able to take me through to the Wendy's drive through. I bought a double baconator combo biggie fries. We said out good buys and take care's, keep in touch in the car. I felt like crying when I got upstairs. I really liked that job but I'm not going to miss the 2 hour commute there. Direct buy was a great experience. They paid me $11 hour but I got an extra $1 hour if I was there for all my shifts and I was. I enjoyed sitting under that tree on 107th reading my book and walking into work. They had free coffee and the Edmonton Journal paper was always there. The staff for the most part were friendly. They used to have it before me where you got 1 month for training, 1 month to get a member then you were on probation. The boss never came around and said something like "Pick it up Jim, you only have 3 pr's if you don't get another 2 by 5pm, we're sending you home." It was never like that. I felt I worked a hard ads possible. I just couldn't cut it in the end. I'm going to miss the job. I'm going to miss the ride home and getting home by 9:30pm. I'll never forget the big storm we had August 6th where the lights in the building went dim and out and we got sent home about 8:30pm. I'm going to miss getting that ride to work Saturday mornings and going into the McDonald's drive through. I miss Direct buy almost as much as I missed Xentel. Now I'm not sure whats going on. I've got 1 cheque coming my last 1 next week and a few days from my downtown job next Friday. I'm going to apply where my wife works just to get some pick up hours until my downtown begins. In the meantime I'm going to apply at a day advertising job next week at a place I don't care about. It's near the Shaw conference centre. It pays really well but I'd be under enormous pressure. I just need 3 days to help pay for my computer parts. Ok, that that was Direct  buy, July/ August 2014. Lets move forward.

I'm strongly thinking instead of the iMac, which is way out of reach for me price wise, is to upgrade my Current pc:


Its a 2005 HP media pc in a mATX case. It's running Win Xp and has usb 2. It's almost 10 years old and when I bought it it came with 256 Ram and a 68Gb hard drive. I upgraded it to 1 gb of Ram about 5 years ago. All I need is a decent motherboard the cpu 2.5 Ghz +, 16 Gb of Ram, a 4Tb hard drive, the power supply and Windows 8. I can get a system similar to the above for about $800 but I'm not going to be able to save that kind of money. I'd rather just get the parts and let where I'm buying them from do it for me. I'm just researching right now. I know I want AMD over Intel. I'm not using it for gaming. It's just being used for music production and every day needs. I've got enough time to do this. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment