Sunday, August 30, 2015

If the place I work at calls me in September they

better make it quick because I'm not waiting on anyone. The plan is to take on another part time job, before my ei is about to expire. Its all in the timing. If the job calls me back between now and the end of next month, the new part time job is there to make room for them. If they don't call me back, I'm moving on. This current job is something I can save for when I'm on pension. I wont burn my bridges. If I get a full time offer, I'll take it but right now there is no income other then ei coming in.

Bare with me as I go down memory lane here. The best job I ever had was when I was working at the Army and Navy department store (AN) in the 1980's over 25 years ago. I dropped the ball on that one and it pains me to this day. The pay was min wage. I was transferred from my comfortable job at the Cobogo warehouse (now lofts) behind where the Ultima building is being built. I was at AN from 1982-1989. 90% of my tenure at AN was at the warehouse the rest at the North side store. While working at the store my hours were pushed ahead and I needed a second income. In 1988 I worked a bit for Associated Canadian Travelers (ACT) for about 3 months but it was a short project for the ACT Telerma. That job was on 149th where the tennis courts are at Coronation park, across the street from there. After that I was working for awhile with Xentel (it was called great west entertainment gwe) back then but I had to give it up because the store had me working from 10-5 when gwe was 5-9. AN was across the street from the Law courts building in those days. I had to get from AN to behind the Associated Engineering building on 110th Jasper. I probably could have made some arrangements to arrive a bit later but space was at a premium at gwe and the economy in the late 1980's wasn't that great here, basically first come first serve. One day I had a Doctors appointment in late March of 1989 out when my Doctor was in the Tera losa shopping centre out in the West end. While out in the West end after seeing my Doctor I thought I'd go see the ACT phone room supervisor Gavin and see when their summer project would begin. I didn't have a phone at the time. I should have said something like,"I'll call to follow up." My mistake was to mention where I was working. When I left ACT I thought nothing of it and went to begin my shift at AN. While working upstairs in the stockroom, I was called to see the general manager. "Your other employer called. I'm not having anyone on my watch look for another job when they should be working here. You can pick up your cheque on Friday." Or words to that affect. I was devastated in complete shock. No matter how hard I tried to protest to explain it fell on deaf ears. I even had a few colleagues speak on my behalf. They'd return shaking heads. I worked at gwe after that for awhile and then for a few other places, including Rainbow productions. I even tried Security guard work but there was a snag in that. Life in the 1990's was hard. I had odd jobs here ad there and on welfare once in a while. My problem was (still is) to keep my mouth shut. If I did and kept cool and not give Gavin any indication where to contact me, I probably would have continued on with AN through out into the 1990's. No doubt I would still work Xentel when they moved to 124th street out by Stony Plain Road in the 1990's. I would have even stayed with them up until I met Anne and got married. I would have stayed with gwe and Xentel for just 3 nights a week. Its not like AN was good income. It was steady income. Something badly missing from today. Now I'm on ei and I haven't been on ei since 2000 just before I got married.         

The highlight of my day today is heading out of here at 6pm for practice night at the lodge. We get the space for free that first Sunday before lodge. After I get up I'm gathering some phone numbers of places I can send my resume to for the week. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment