Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I love YouTube

and here's another reason why:


Monday while I was trying to catch the 4th quarter of the Esks/Stamps game I get this guy sounding East Indian-ish in broken English. He was trying to tell me that he is or his connections are Microsoft Certified technicians and they are advised to inform me that my computer is loaded with viruses. Remember the Security Tool virus I caught a few years ago? That pest took out my laptop for almost a month. So I went through some of the procedures they were asking me to do. The first hint I felt a scam coming on was when they asked me if they could have access to my desktop. I've used Team Viewer on more then several occasions and I know a bit about remote desktops and how to use them. I wasn't worried because at anytime along the way, I can pull my Internet connection. I wanted to see how far these guys would go. The guy that had me on the phone as I was missing my CFL game showed me these "error messages" and claimed they were detrimental to my computer. I noticed the date was May 12th 2011. The last date was May 12th. That's when I knew they were setting me up to be scammed. I thought "Wait now, if these things have been "on my computer" since then, obviously it's not that urgent." They were trying to sell me some kind of antivirus protection package. Then I knew it was a scam as soon as I said I have no credit card. They asked me if I had a bank card. I said no. That's when I broke the connection real fast. Since then they've called several times today even after Anne yelled at them and said take this number off the list. After checking on Youtube I learned of the Ammy scam. Fortunately for me, I had from the beginning of the first call an inkling in my head this didn't sound right. So just a heads up to all my readers, be careful of the Ammy scam. But please when you get the call keep them talking for as long as you can, they're the ones that have to pay for the call. I love YouTube.

I'm having a nice day off. I got up late and had an enjoyable afternoon playing around with my FL Studio 10. And now I have the whole evening off with nowhere to go. Taking Wednesday off is a good thing to do.

We've had so much rain in May and June we didn't get any warm days above 28. We had 1 day above +30 and that was the day I was at Fort Edmonton Park a few weeks ago. Today as we're having our Indian Summer, we hit another +30 degree day. Actually the local forecast is going to be +30 over the next several days. Anyway, that's about all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment