Saturday, March 12, 2016

My favorite time of year

as overnight its almost daylight savings time. We move the clock ahead by an hour. Longer hours, weather is nicer.

Its the end of an era. It was in the mid 1970's from 1974-75 I was working at the Army & Navy department store (A&N) in New Westminster BC. I was 21-22, just a young man. I didn't take very good care of my appearance or my general health. I'm sure I looked a mess. That's when I took up that CokeCa Cola habit. That was a good job and I could walk to work. I lived in what is now called the Bench & Gavel building, where the Law courts building is now. It was a nice studio apartment. Then when I moved to Edmonton in 1978 I worked for A&N again at the Great West Saddlery building. A&N had 2 stores at the time here in Edmonton; Whyte Ave (still thriving there) and the North side across from the law courts building. Its that big old structure on 97th street and 103rd Ave in 1955. Army & Navy opened that building I was living with mom and dad in the Bay side apartment block (West end) as they moved here in 1973. My parents moved back to BC to retire in 1979. I worked for A&N off and on during the later 1970's early 1980's. I worked there again just before the 1980 recession hit Edmonton in October of 1982. I was living on the South side 80th Ave. I worked at the Cobogo warehouse from 1982-1989, first at the Great West location as they were moving to Cobogo (now Cobogo lofts) I was living in a small basement suite in a house on 155th street and 97th Ave in the West end and then a few years later to 9710 156th street. (I had a great little studio apartment) I was transferred to the department store in 1989 and lost my job but that's another story. Army & Navy moved out of their original store in 2001 and then to Londonderry Mall. Army and Navy stayed there until January of this year. Londonderry Mall decided it needed to attract the 18-34 female high income demographic and would not renew A&N's lease because A&N wouldn't look good next to a high end Simon's store. Londonderry Mall also kicked out Winners or will soon, Buds and Albert's. Speculation as too where A&N would be moving to would surface in the Connect to Edmonton forum. So after months of speculation I found the Army & Navy Facebook page. I sent them a text message inquiry about where and when they would be moving to a new location. I did this just shortly before I left for work yesterday. On my way back at Corona station I checked my email and there was a reply from A&N. They told me they have no plans for opening any new locations but rather they are going to focus on repurposing their Whyte Ave location instead. So much history with me and A&N North side Edmonton. The OTO/Ellen, SCA, the injury to my middle finger (off for 3 months) my studio apartment in the West end. All those Oiler Stanley cups, the 1987 Tornado. Working with ACT and my first computer. Wow. Yes its the end o f an era. I'll put some links to the above later tonight when I get back from work.

So today, I'm out of here in about an hour. I'm about ready to have my bath clean up and some breakfast Anne made me to heat up in the mic, then off to a 7.5 hour day. uggh, more dial tones, no answers, nis, quota fills. It's 7.5 hours, so I shouldn't complain. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment