Saturday, March 19, 2016

Sleeping in until 8 am would have been nice but I woke up with a

bit of a headache about 6:30 this morning. I was awake anyway, so what the heck, why not get up? So here I am closing in on 6:45, with coffee and a hour and a half or so to myself, where I can wake up before I have to get dressed, some breakfast and out the door for a full day.

Finally, the first day of Spring is hours away, and with this Edmonton's next big Light Rail Transit (lrt) project is setup to get underway. The Valley line route is from Mill woods (SE) to City Centre and will be at grade, low floor. The first phase is 13.2 Kilometers. I have no problems with this project as a concept. What gives me pause is some of the P3 components such as Bombardier, Canada's largest aerospace/transportation company. Bombardier has been in financial trouble lately seeking a $1.3B bail out package. The aerospace sector is worth about $29 billion to the Canadian economy as well as 180,000 jobs, including about 40,000 jobs in the Greater Montreal Area. Bombardier has received bail out packages before, that's nothing new. Bombardier's recent struggle has begun with their C series aircraft and 100 of them are set for delivery. My confidence level with Bombardier at this point is wavering on the flat line. My big concern with Bombardier in this project is will they deliver the goods on budget and on time. 

Edmonton Light Rail Transit System
Valley line lrt will also includes the construction of a signature bridge spanning the North Saskatchewan River, a 350m tunnel, and an operations and maintenance facility for the new line. The Valley line lrt is set to break ground this Spring. Well Spring arrives today at 10:30pm. I'm hoping to see some action on this in early April.

I haven't got a game yet for my Ntendo 3ds but the first thing I want to get at the end of the month is the Korg 3ds-12 music app from the Ntendo estore. At the moment I'm just living on "nickles and dimes" but I'm ok with that for about the next 18 months or so. If all works out ok, and I get a ei claim with the ei hours I'll have, I'm taking the summer off. I should be back at my other job mid September anyway. 

The Oilers won another one last night as their starter goal tender Cam Talbot won his 3rd shut out of the season 2-0 over Vancouver. I noticed last night in checking our position in the league that the Oilers have played more games this year then any other team in the NHL at 74 games played. Everyone else is at 70-71. That just shows how unfavorable the schedule was to us this year. That and injuries we keep struggling. Our position in the league is our own fault but at 74 games to everyone else's 70-71 games makes me wonder, what the heck is going on? It's not like NHL teams have their schedules configured by a computer. With 30 teams in the league each one of them is subjected to what's going on with their parent arena's. Again this 2015-16 season the Oilers were being hijacked by events such as the CFR rodeo. Sure it brings big money into the city but I'd rather see the Oilers do well then being kicked out of their building for 2 weeks. Other teams in the NHL face a similar problem. Not just the Oilers. Then there's this silly All Star break. Yeesh. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment