Tuesday, March 15, 2016

With all the mistakes I'm making at the

other job, I'm very surprised if I'm still there by the end of the week. I won't go into any details but suffice to say, I've got to have a meeting (initiated on my part) when I get in today. I've got 18 and a half months until I'm on pension, uggh. Can it come soon enough?

I'm involved in a interesting Connect 2 Edmonton discussion about city homelessness, post #52. Its my position that there will always be some element of homelessness, either transitional or otherwise in Edmonton. There is a small percentage of people that like being on the street. Its a "way of life" for these people. One good thing about the sour economy is there are a lot more housing options for people then there were a few years ago when the city's vacancy rate was very high. Now with the economic downturn the vacancy rate has opened up but at the same time the unemployment rate is high. Even with minimum wage at $11.50/hour a single person in a 80 hour pay period is barely existing. Half of that annual income is going towards rent. There's no room for extras and Lord forbid should somebody have a vice like smoking etc. I don't know a lot of people on minimum wage that drive a car. Here's what I added in my last post as Envaneo: "Consider a single person on min wage ($11.50) hr. pulling in a 80 hour pay period add vacation pay of 4% (min) is about $960 or $1,840/month. That's about $22,080 annually. A 1 bedroom (prices may vary) is about $1,200 month in the city. That's $14,500/year on rent (not taking into affect any rent increase without a lease) Bus passes are about $1092/year (although there can be some money returned from a tax break) Add about $600 for food/month, that's $7,200. That's a total of $22,792 and I haven't factored in utilities. Internet would be a luxury. The above person might have mom and dad nearby. But just going by that alone the above sample wouldn't be able to go anywhere or do anything. So, the above sample would need to take on a part time job just to have the head above water. The above single person even working full time at min wage couldn't cut it. Maybe there might be some social housing subsidies for our sample but none that I know of. Our sample above is called the working poor, which makes up of 39% of the countries GDP.". Then again there are homelessness stereotypes. One such is that homeless people have mental health issues. Not necessarily. Maybe somebody lost their job and significant other, we don't know. The conversation continues.



 
Yesterday morning I was able to email my pharmacist at my pcn and he said he would have a couple of boxes of set aside for me. Just mention to reception they are in the fridge. Good. Anne said she'd be able to pick them up fo me because she's going to pick up her birthday cake today. That means I'll be calling reception to let them know Anne is coming buy to pick up my insulin. So that's going to help me a lot. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment