Wednesday, March 2, 2016

My commute yesterday afternoon

began fine and well without a hiccup. We're trying a bit of an experiment until I turn 65 (1.5 years away) its a bit risky. I'm using a seniors monthly transit pass. Anne bought it at the 7-11. A seniors pass is $15/month, or $125/year and unlike a adult pass, a senior bus pass can be bought for the whole year. I'm considered (in my mind) a senior because I'm on cpp, but I don't look the part either. Even when I turn 65, which isn't that far out, I'm not going to look much different then I am now. I remember at the age of 25 I was still being asked for I.D in the bar. If I wasn't so low income, we wouldn't risk using a senors pass because if I'm caught its a hefty fine. A adult bus pass is almost $100/month. The City of Edmonton is looking into a low income transit pass but by the time that gets approved, I'll be 65. It might help my wife out. If this is approved It'll be based on ones letter of assessment after tax time and would be a huge income relief off of the shoulders of low income transit riders like myself. Most likely it will be based on ones household income. Lrt security never showed up on the train to check for tickets. I don't like a commute like this but its going to save us a lot of money. Its called fare dodging. Bus drivers don't usually care and don't challenge, as long as the transit rider has paid the fare or has a transfer or bus pass at the time of boarding. At Rexall I was surprised to see a hoard of people at the #5, wtf? I was lucky to get a seat on the #5 bus at Central station as it was standing room only from Central to where I needed to get off at 109th and 124th street. 

I have about half a block to the job site from the bus stop and I noticed a for "sale sign,"pending, on the property. Now what? I was received ok and there was quite a gathering. There were introductions by the team leader's stand in, and initial paper work to fill out. The Director confirmed that even though Dave and Verne were not there, they will be tonight. Dave has been on oas for about a year now. I need to compare my seniors monthly transit pass with Dave's transit pass. If there's no difference, then I might be ok. I need to know if there is a difference between a seniors buss pass and a seniors monthly pass. I'm sure there is. A senior aged 65 can buy a seniors monthly pass before a April 1st. They are non transferable. I'll be 65 in 2017. Apparently the building is up for sale and the higher ups have shortlisted two locations. Its hoped that because most people take the bus that the 2 short listed locations will be centrally located and not in a industrial park or out in the boonies. We'll know when before this project is over May 15th. After we did orientation and break at the last 45 minutes on the shift, I managed to do some cold calling. New people were being trained. I booked off a bit early as before we'd break off at 8:20pm so people could catch their bus. Most likely that's because the team leader wasn't there that likes to book off early. 

I had to scramble out the door as after looking both ways I crossed the street. 124th & 109th were not that busy that time of night. I got to about half way to my bus shelter as I did a shoulder check and there was the #5 bus fast approaching behind me. I was hobbling away but the bus waited for me. Otherwise if I missed this one I'd be waiting another 20 minutes. I'm thinking about taking the #5 back the other way to Westmount and then doubling back, which would take me to about the 9:25 bus from my other job. I don't mind in the Spring but in the winter, that's a long wait. I wasn't challenged on the #5 to Corona station and lrt security was non existent. I was kind of hoping they would be there to see if I can pass the at look. They just want to see the bus pass/transfer/tickets in hand. So, I'm out of here at 3pm, hopefully without any complications there and back. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment