Saturday, January 7, 2017

I was in bed by 1am this morning

and I woke up shortly before 5 feeling refreshed. Even though I have a full 8 hour day ahead of me, I should be ok for the day despite the cold weather, I wont even mind heading in later this morning. By 5pm this afternoon, however, I'm going to feel pretty wiped out. By "time sheet," I'll be more then happy to head home. It looks like I'll be 6-9pm all next week, including another day like today, uggh.

I'm trying to process what happened in yesterdays Florida shooting. I don't have a lot of info, just from what's out there. So how does a man of middle eastern decent, even admitting to internal security forces, that he hears voices in his head of wanting to join terrorist causes, with a history of criminal activity and mental illness (PTSD) isn't in custody or at least on a watch list? Maybe he was. There is obviously more to this story then is out there at the moment. Yes everyone has rights, and Santiago (the killer) hasn't yet committed a crime until as of yesterday, we all know this. Authorities knew Santiago was in Iraq on a tour of duty and has a history of mental illness. I'm not apologizing for Santiago's actions yesterday but this was a man asking for help. A time bomb waiting to go off. Not just that but he boards a plane with a handgun lands in a popular airport produces the handgun and starts shooting and killing 5 people injuring many others! Yet apparently even in this country its legal to transport a "secured" handgun on a airplane. The Fort Lauderdale gunman surrenders to authorities on location without incident. Unbelievable. So he is finally in custody and should have been in custody all along. This is the ultimate scenario of what could happen when PTSD is left ignored. I feel badly for Santiago's victims and families of yesterday shootings, and for Santiago's family. They're victims as well. US Presidential leader elect Donald Trump responds with a Tweet to the state Governor ending with Stay safe, yeesh. So how many more untreated for PTSD Santiago types are out there left untreated before authorities lets another one lose? These people need help. They are not criminals. The easy unpopular answer is make it illegal to transport handguns in a airplane. That may sound like a quick fix but the root cause is the symptom itself. As of the morning of January 5, 2017, the number of shootings in the US has risen to more than 500 total, resulting in at least 113 deaths and 288 injuries. The victims include six children ages 11 or under and 28 teenagers  and that's just in the US on one day. Unbelievable. Yet that can happen anywhere, and not just in the US. So now authorities are looking for a motive. Um, Santiago has PTSD symptoms and maybe this was his way of getting help? Maybe we should build a wall here in Canada and make Trump pay for it. 

Anne made me a fried egg sandwich and hash brown patties to go with my morning coffee for breakfast this morning. She seldom does that but I have a full day ahead. Just before boarding the train at 9am this morning here at Clareview, I'm going to keep my eyes open and look for a colleague that used to take the Saturday morning train with me to Southgate at the other job. If I see him heading in it will tell me that he has some kind of work going on at the other place for a few Saturdays anyway. He'll tell me if I join him on the train to at least Central station. Management said there isn't any work for anyone working the phones after the 22nd. So lets see if he's on the train this morning. Sorry for the sloppy blog post this morning. I'm just waking up. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment