Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Getting up at 6:50 this

morning (from Monday) wasn’t the easiest thing to do. The bus connecting to Clairview was ok and the train heading to Corona wasn’t bad either. I was surprised to learn there were only 8 of us for the shift. I had a good day even though the calls were slow. I read from my book this afternoon. One of the guys got a $1,200 CC sale. Good for him. I had a good day even though the afternoon was slow. The boss let us out at 4pm.

Warren mentioned that today was the 16th anniversary of OJ Simpson’s trial. I was never a fan of OJ Simpson, much less an NFL fan at the time but I remember vividly the trial date and how at AVC continuing ed we were all gathering around the monitors on that Tuesday afternoon. I was in my last few weeks at the bachelor apartment. I felt sorry for OJ, I’m one of the few that believe he didn’t commit the murders. Hard to believe that he’s still in jail on the robbery charge. According to Wiki, the trial cost over $400 million in terms of lost production, because everyone was glued to the TV.

In the latest SF Signal podcast the panel asked what are some of the essential SFF films every fan should watch. For this, I direct the reader to the above, my top 20. Of course I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Star Wars as #1 and for TV it’s always Star Trek but lately the new Doctor Who has been my recent favourite.

October is Pure spec month here in Edmonton. This time around though Pure Spec is November 18-20th at the Grant MacEwan Robbins Health Centre. They’re having a Skype interview with Mike Resnick. Now that’s pretty cool. Jo Walton is the GoH. There’s a Starcraft live demo. They’ve got a lot of guests this year and I think I’m going to check it out this year.

I‘m really enjoying “A game of Thorns” (Agot) Apparently there are 5 books so far in the series. This looks like its going to be another Steven Erikson type of a Malazan series. There are some parts in the book that give me pause. For example, there’s a part where one of the characters (Bran) is out riding in the hunt recalling of his time in the castle called “Winterfell” climbing around and he ends up falling off a balcony and breaks his back to end up a cripple. Or so the story goes at this point. But if that was in the past he’s in the saddle riding. Latter there is another chapter from his POV, so perhaps this will be resolved but for now could this be a narrative flaw, a oops in the story? The writing is to good to have this as a narrative oops. Anyway, that’s about all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment