Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I had to call in sick again

Anne gave me a sleeping pill and about 4am and some reading later, I went to bed and passed out

I'm coughing, runny nose, watery eyes. My sinuses are plugged up but at least my voice is more or less returning and I'm going through a roll of toilet tissue a day.

But I'm going into work tomorrow. My check next week will be pretty low but I have savings in my bank for rainy days like this

Weather wise, we're supposed to get winter on the 15th down to some -20 days. We haven't had a -20 this season. There's only a dusting of snow out there now.

But I need to get back to work so I can make some money. As it is now with me going back tomorrow for 8 hours, I'll have Thursday 8 Friday 8 Saturday 6, which is only 22 hours. I won't get anything out of this check myself but next week I'll have 37 hours as I'm taking Saturday off for Lodge. The other reason I need to get back to the office I need to get some info on this grub rescue so I can get back into my laptop.

This weekend I'm thinking about getting the Epiphone Dot ES Studio guitar. I think I saw it on the LM website on sale. All of these guitar software emulators aren't so much expensive as their sound libraries are so large. "Electricity" for instance has a 52 Gb sound library. I have about 32 Gb left over but you can hear its Midi. With a real guitar all I have to do is plug it into my audio interface and into my Guitar Pro 6 tweak the sound a bit and I'm there. I don't need an amp or a stomp box, every things right there. No Sound libraries, nothing. 

I tool 2 incidents of cough medicine swallows so far this morning and 1 more before Anne leaves for her job. 

Ok by now most of you reading this has heard about the Gateway pipeline project but like the McKenzie valley pipeline (which has been under construction since 2010) this pipeline line is years away from completion. I'm not opposed marketing our oil to Asia it's just the question of the route. I think Prince Rupert would be better then Kitimat. Just having the pipeline running over rocky terrain like this is an accident waiting to happen. The area is prone to avalanche slides, not to mention soil erosion could tale out a section of the pipeline and then you have a disaster in the making and never mind negotiating those tankers out of narrow fjords. Now I'm thinking instead what we ought to do is refine the oil here and transport the oil down by tankers. I've heard something like 1 million barrels of oil/day. I did some research and came up with this from yahoo answers: 
"Supertankers" are generally defined as those greater than 250,000 tonnes deadweight (meaning the maximum weight they can carry when fully loaded). Today's supertankers, on average, can carry about 2 million barrels or 84 million gallons of crude oil and petroleum product. The largest supertanker in the world is the Norwegian-owned Knock Nevis which is 647,955 tonnes deadweight and can hold 4.1 million barrels of petroleum. Source: http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/Saudi_Arabia/pdf.pdf

That's a lot of oil in one of those suckers. But it's also not like there's a dozen tankers out there waiting waiting to come into port everyday. I don;t think there's that many available tankers for this thing. So 2 million barrels at $101/barrel as of this post translates into rough $2 Billion/tanker/day. Of course my figures are just ballpark estimates the price of oil changes daily. Right now it's high, by August it could be back down to $43 something. 

The other thing about this is aboriginal groups. Special interest groups outside Canada are playing these aboriginal people for fools. They're playing the environment fear mongering card at the end of the day it's all going to come down to money. Who wants it more? How much money is this going to cast us? Its all going to come down to how much do you want? Everyone has a price.

If my math is right at $2 Billion/oil tanker/day that's a lot of cash. That's a lot of cash, if it ever comes into fruition. 

Ok, enough of that. I took another shot of cough medicine, which seems to help but I'm running out. So on tap tonight is the Oiler game. I didn't buy a Proline or a 6/49 ticket as I haven't been out since Saturday. Anyway, that's about all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment