Saturday, June 4, 2016

I think I got about

4 and a half hours of sleep, which is about what I would normally get on a Friday night Saturday morning when I need to go in for a Saturday shift. The shift goes by pretty fast until about 4pm and drags a bit after that. Not that I'm complaining. When I get home tonight about 7pm, the first intermission of the hockey game will be underway and I can nap a bit on the couch watching some of the game #3 Pens/SJ NHL playoff game. 

I had the LMMS (lmms, Linux multi-media studio) digital audio work station (free version) on my Windows Xp machine before. Any software developer today wont develop software for Windows Xp (xp here on in), including lmms (for windows and mac) Microsoft wont let them. Microsoft lets anyone with Windows 7 and 8 have Windows 10 for free but obviously not xp and up. Since most of my daw's are on cd and this pc stick doesn't have a cd burner obviously, my options have been limited and most of the free online daw's are meh at best and are limited. I don't know how light lmms is on the cpu but last night just before Anne came home, I installed lmms on my pc stick. When I get some funds, one of the main things I'm getting is a class 10 micro sd card. If I get any birthday money in August, I'm getting the micro sd card and a bluetooth speaker. Then I'm going to uninstall lmms and reinstall it onto the micro sd card once that's inside the Lenova. Before Anne came home, I got a chance to get under the hood as it were of the lmms. I was quite surprised. Its a full feature daw with a lot of sound font samples, which can be tweaked. Then it dawned on me. Can this thing handle wav files? It can and the lmms community talks about this in its knowledge base. There's also a pro version of the lmms. I think the free version limits the end user to five minutes. Which is ok, just save re start. However where it "gets you" (I think) is one is limited to a five minute track. There's a work around for that as well. There are probably other limitations such as no midi keyboard control etc. Since I'm going for more hardware base live music, I'm not going to be a heavy user of this product. Until I get my iMac (2 years away), to help process the audio and do video editing, the lmms will foot the bill in the meantime. So, other then hockey tonight guess what's on my plate tonight? :)

At the moment, I'm just waking up with my first coffee. On my 2pm break I'll be heading across the street for another diet cola refill. After my first break at noon, the shift becomes a afternoon shift until about 5:45. That's log off and time sheet time. Got to log those ei hours in. If I can work every day (Sunday's for Mondays) I will. Lets hope there are Sunday shifts. I can always watch WWE's "Money in the bank" in progress and play catch up with what I missed but on the other TV but that's another 3 weeks away yet. If I can work all of this month, and the week after Canada day, I'll have enough to cover rent for July and August. Also, enough for a ei claim in August before (I hope) I go back to work in September. That first ei (if approved) should cheque should kick in just before I go back to work in September. Then the claim gets put on hold from my end, and activated again if we need it over the Christmas holidays but more importantly if work slows down by this time next year, I'll have this ei claim to cover us until pension kicks in. That's the plan anyway. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment