Thursday, June 16, 2016

When I first got into chat rooms

was about 1999. MSN had a lively chat room called A God(s) Fight. Or AGF (see side bar) AGF chat was really lively lots of politics and religious talk. That chat room fell by the way side when MSN brought a message board style kind of discussion forum to AGF. It was still really lively. Then MSN got out of the message board business for what ever reason, I can't recall, and the owner of AGF brought the message board to the Yuku platform. The Yuku AGF message board was developed in 2008, and since then AGF gets a few posts/year. I usually go under the name of sebek and post updates about me a few times/year. About 2008 I discovered a local message board/forum called Connect 2 Edmonton (c2e). It was is all things (mostly) about Edmonton. It started in 2003. I got on as envaneo. Envaneo was an old occult Fraternal name with some Latin meaning, which I don't want to get into now. What I like about c2e is how it was robust and current with topics not just Edmonton but the Oilers, Eskimo's etc. and I liked the "Must Try" for all the restaurants in the area. It ran on a vbuiltin platform. I especially like the NHL and Oilers off season threads, and all the various construction projects going around town. I never would have known what half of these projects were if not for c2e. C2e would be my first go to email after I woke up. Early yesterday afternoon when I went to answer my c2e subscription messages, and logged onto the threads I had subscribed I was shocked. Assaulting my visual senses up comes a splash page saying how c2e was a 10 year project, and the owner didn't know if c2e needs to be retired or reworked in some way because the interface was old. I didn't like where this was going. The other option was for the board to still be up and running because its such a huge resource with a lot of historic and current photos of Edmonton. Uh-oh. The owner of c2e said he had some decisions to make between now and the weekend. I hope he doesn't retire c2e. I'd hate this to be another AGF. C2e was to me like a family. We seldom ever got along but did agree with each other quite often. C2e was engaging, informative often humorous. I got to know some of these people. Some people used their real names, most had nic names, like Top Dawg who always referred to himself in the 3rd person. There was Moahunter, Sonic Death Monkee, IanO, The Cat, Noodle, Edmonton PTR, Legion, Drumbones, Edmonton Cowboy, EavB, KC, and many others. C2e has over 35,000 subscribers. There were always lots of photographs, links etc. I began a few threads myself. Posters could also receive private messages from other posters, and c2e I discovered to late would be a good place to do local networking. I felt really connected to the city with my time in c2e. If I liked someone's post without replying, I could hit the "Thanks" button. If the owner of c2e decides to retire this board I hope somebody else picks it up. Or at least keeps it up for people to say goodbye. One of the long time posters started a "Go fund me page." If I had the money, I'd make a contribution. I love c2e. I hope it doesn't go but gets better. 

I'm really enjoying this "Eagles of Talons" Jamie MacCallister saga. There's lots history in these books. If this is historical fiction, its now one of my favorite genres. I like reading these Westerns because they read so fast. The only trouble with Audrey's is they have no Western section. If it wasn't for Fantastic Fiction, and in my email "Any new books" I would not know what new books are up and coming. One of the guys that works at Audrey's that I directed to Goodreads, talked about a series of books from a local Edmonton author Janice MacDonald. She writes the Randy Craig mysteries. My colleague said its set in Edmonton and many of the books include reviews of local restaurants. This would be a good post for c2e's "must try." I hope I can still post this there.  

The other day I discovered Twitch, live broadcasting for players that like to play video games. Now, I'm not big on video games. From my initial look at Twitch its hard to pick out what broadcasts are in English, and which ones aren't. Some of the real popular new games have audiences of up to 300,000 subscribers. Of course depending on what time of day it is and what time zone it is. Streaming live where the broadcaster is shown inside a picture in a picture small window at the corner of the screen is appealing to me. Twitch also looks like it could have a live chat feature in the broadcast in real time as well but I'm not sure. I'm not sure if Twitch is just for pc, console or hand held devices. This would be so cool for i0S devices and other hand held devices. Ntendo 3ds has a forward camera. So does i0S devices. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment