Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I never knew my grand parents

on my fathers side of the family. I met my grand mother on my mothers side numerous times but I never had a chance to talk one on one with her. A few days ago I got this email from somone with my last name. She said my father had the same last name as her husband's but with a Jr at the end. They provided me with some details that more or less confirmed they were doing honest research. My grand fathers name was James Blaine Shannon (JBS) and my grand mother's name was Florence. JBS died in 1931 while trying to save the lives of two of his co workers in a sewer gas industrial accident. Mom told me a bit about this but the story this lady told me kind of supports what mom told me. FLorence died in 1948 (5 years before I was born) and is burried in Vernon BC. I'm trying to get my sisters contact details because she knows more about our family history then I do. I've been out of touch with my sister since just before Anne and I got married. 

What's interesting is a photo from "Find a Grave" shows a nice grave marker with not much details but showing the logo of a group called the "Order of Knights of Pythias." This might have meant that her new husband was a member of this order. They were very big in New Westminster back in the late 1800's. 

I got more information as well about my grandfather and a photo of him and his wife probably at the time they were married. My aunt Ev was born in Bonham Texas and my father in El Centro. My Grandfather was 34 years old when he died in an industrial accident in Imperial county in 1931. 

Well, I'm back to work for a full week this week but at least I have I have my stat pay for Thanksgiving day yesterday. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment