Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A couple of things going on

this month. First off it's the Edmonton public library's main branch Centennial year, nice. Too celebrate the City of Edmonton is handing out free library cards to any city resident. It's a good deal. I haven't used the library in years but it's free right. why not?  

Yesterday I found out my job isn't permanent. It's on a project by project bases. I have these hours for at least the middle of June. After that I don't know. If near that time, I have no conformation of anything, say like a week or 2 off, I can live with that. If however things are shut down for a couple of months, then I have a few other options. If all we have is evening work, I can live with that. I'd rather work part time where I am now then full time out out on 124th street with the gang. Maybe I'd do it next year when the Nait line opens up. In that case it'd be a train to Churchill and connect to the Nait line out to Kingsway board the #12 out to the job site. That might be easier, but we'll see. I don't want to give up on my present job for just a few dollars more an hour.

This caught my attention from i09 earlier: Should we put criminals under surveillance instead of in prison? The thing is putting criminals under surveillance wont prevent crimes. And how are we going to apprehend these criminals once they figure out that resources are so stretched it's going to be very hard to catch them? Read more here:

The other thing I want to do one of these Saturday's this month is head out to the Telus World of Science for the Star War's "Identities" show before it leaves by the end of the month so maybe next Saturday night. I really want to see this before it leaves. I can get a bite to eat at Westmount and take the #5 to Corona station from Westmount and the train home before Anne calls.

The other thing is our local landmark, the High level bridge, has a built in attraction called the "High level bridge waterfall."  It's normally an event for the summer, usually around Summer long weekends. There are lights that shine from behind the waterfall hooked up from just under the bridge. It's nice at night but the event has been shut down over the past couple of years. Forces at City Hall want to bring it back but with Redford's cutbacks and all that affect the City, it's hard to come up with the funds to justify opening it again. What's odd about this project is the water wasn't pumped from the river below and recycled. It was treated water. Now City councilors want to use the water from the river. They should have done that years ago.  

On Coast this morning the topic is about how scientists have succeeded in developing the first living cell to be controlled entirely by synthetic DNA. Cool. Looking forward to listening in on this for a bit. Anyway, that's about all for now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment