Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sundays

I had a great evening last night. I managed to work on Maschine and I got it to work with my hand held mic by changing the sample rate and the Asio settings. It’s not as good as a condenser mic with a pop filter in a treated room but in changing the sample rate I got rid of a lot of static.

Yesterday here in Edmonton, local pot smokers got together for their annual smoke in or whatever it’s called. I smoked pot maybe once in my life. It never did anything for me. Still doesn’t.

Apparently the powers that be are mulling over a tax on the use of using plastic saying that merchants are losing about 10% on transactions being made every time at the point of sale someone needs to uses a credit card or a bankcard. The Bank of Canada will make the decision by the end of the week. The ramifications of this could be huge. Namely I feel it will impact the economy in an adverse way and perhaps slow it down. It also means that those Scene rewards points wont be worth much if there is a 10% surcharge on every time consumers use plastic. If that‘s to stop people from using them, banks will see their profits dwindle and that‘s another aspect to consider. It‘s not going stop the use of plastic all together if the decision to do this goes ahead. We’ll know by the end of the week what’s going to happen here. Maybe it will only apply at the till. So for example if the consumer wants to use plastic to pay for anything online, it wont affect it. I can still use my bank card online by paying for that book at Audrey’s and then going down to pick it up. That type of a thing for specific. It smacks of another tax grab. 

Speaking about music earlier in this post vinyl records were in the news again. Yesterday was international record store day. I bought many vinyl albums back in the day. The first album I ever bought I think was in 1971, when I could afford to by music but the first 45 I ever bought was The Beatles “She loves you” but remastered cds and dvds sound a lot better to my ear but you feel you actually got something for your money. Vinyl sales have gone up as well, in 2006 vinyl sales accounted for something like $36M. Today they are selling something like $171M. The last time vinyl had sales like this, Bill Clinton was President. The last vinyl album I bought was in 1988: Kansas “Power.” I remember it vividly buying it here in Edmonton Woodward’s to be exact.

Not much going on today and that’s the way I like it. I’m going to work on my music and do some Lodge memory work, have brunch watch Doctor Who and the Duck’s/Oiler’s game check my email watch the news have dinner and go to bed. I‘m working all week 9-5pm all week. The only thing pressing is to go to the library check why my un and pw are not working properly. Anyway, that‘s about all for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment