Thursday, April 19, 2012

Rather then add onto the last post

might as well just make a new one. 

The 3 big things on my radar coming up is my week off and then the election and more importantly my bit in our Lodge's EA degree after that I can breath a little easier. 

Today I've got 8 hours ahead of me and 9pm couldn't come fast enough. Sales in WR are harder to come by because the party candidates cant shut up by making stupid comments and its not just WR its the PC's as well. The only ones staying out of the mudslinging are the NDP's and and the Liberals. Anything other then WR is not an option. Most people I've been talking to will support WR but not financially. I don't like the new script of the Federal "NDP Leader" (official opposition)because its way to wordy and it makes personal attacks on the leader of the NDP and not on the issues of what the NDP would like to do.

The other thing that bugs me is there are 2 types of working class people in this country: Unions and the working poor. Union workers make $20-30hour where as the working poor make minimum wage-$18/hour. And of course executives but that's another topic. My father was a Union man when I was growing up in the 1960's and I recall our family suffering on strike pay more then a few times. Union workers whine the most as well if they are Legislated back to work or when the company needs other workers to replace them. I'm not saying all Trades are "Unionised" but most are. The NDP are for the unions that's where they get their votes from. Most of the guys in my Lodge are Tades people and chances are they are in a union.


I was watching this ^ video on The space elevator proposed project and even though it may look like science fiction, it's not like it's Star trek or Star Wars. The concept is simple enough: Build a platform at earths equator launch a rocket to Geo synchronous orbit 250 miles up and place a counterweight drop a carbon nano tube cable to the platform build a climber and propel the climber up the cable. The climber could have a platform where it could carry astronauts and materials to said Geo orbit (space). The platform would be lifted by a laser from the platform. Consider that 1 space shuttle launch costs about $450M per launch! It would cost almost nothing to launch a space vehicle from the counterweight to the space station. In the video above they're saying this project could be 15-20 years away. The major challenge would be the the carbon nano tubes themselves. I believe that Nasa's current next gen space travel vehicle is just a bridge from the space shuttle to the space elevator. The other concerns I have is all the space junk floating around up there but I'd say a prototype could be up and ready within 10 years.

Well. I'm about ready to pack things up for the day. We're supposed to have our cable hooked up today but the next Kings/Canucks game #5 won't be until Sunday. There are other NHL playoff games during that time, anyway that's about all for me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment