Saturday, February 8, 2014

Looks like I have a full day

on the job today and I hope I get a full 7.5 hours.

I'm having trouble (again) with my laptop as it's crashing on start up. I'm considering a system restore but I'd be losing all of my programs. I have a 1 Tb back up drive and I'm considering backing up my laptop and then reinstall and hope everything works from there. 

One of Harper's recent pieces of legislation is immigration reform. Bill C-24. The bill makes dramatic improvements to the immigration act making it more difficult for people to immigrate here. The bill is aimed at preventing immigration fraud and improving wait times for a citizenship application backlog which, stood at 349,249 cases at the end of 2012. It takes just over 25 months to process a new immigration claim. First of all new Canadian prospects must be able to speak English. They must reside in Canada for a minimum of 4 years instead of the usual 3, and adults who apply for citizenship will also have to show they have filed Canadian income taxes. Canada spends way to much on immigration, over $20 billion annually. The proposed legislation would streamline the application process by allowing citizenship officers to make decisions on applications, something only citizenship judges can do now. Lots of these people use Canada as a soft place to land during challenging times in their own country. Recently about 11,000 people were deported for committing immigration fraud. The new bill would also,increase application fees for each adult to $300 from $100, effective immediately. Fees for minors would remain the same. The new bill also addresses "lost Canadians" as well.

So, I got my hours for the week ahead and I have just half days. They got me off for Sunday and Thursday. Yes, I have a Sunday off, which means I can try and "fix" my laptop Sunday. Or just get the new pc and reinstall everything. Komplete 8 is a 110Gb install and Maschine is about a 2Gb install. Then I've got my audio interface and midi keyboard, Cubase and FL Studio and a few other programs. Should be about 180 Gb but I have some decisions to make here. Anyway, that's all for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment