Friday, February 28, 2014

We have our first ever Bitcoin ATM

machine here in the city. 1BTC= about $816CND. Bitcoins are stored in "electronic wallets" on smart phones. Bitcoins might make solid currency obsolete but I doubt it will be in my lifetime. Yet look at cell phones. In 1973 when the cell phone was invented it's coming out party was mostly ignored until about 10 years later. Cell phones in 1982 were a bit of a novelty but they gradually became ubiquitous. Bitcoin will no doubt experience growing pains and a cashless society might yet be around the corner. Whether it's Bitcoin or something else the potential is there.

I arrived at Corona station on my afternoon commute in record time yesterday: 4:15pm! So I went into Tim's and ordered a decaf. No roll up prize yet. Having a bit of time on my hands, I read more out of False Gods enjoying my coffee. 

I got into the office with 10 minutes to spare and got organized. So the announcement was made that if we don't keep up an individual flow rate of 1 completion/hour we would be sent home! Unbelievable! If it happens a 2nd time then we lose shifts. I got my first survey done 45 minutes into my shift. The next three were scattered after break. I said to myself, "Send me home so I can watch the Oiler game." The trouble is Ottawa and Victoria don't realize that our economy is a lot better off here then it is in those cities. Even during my 13 years at Xentel I had been sent home only once for a low total and the manager apologized to me the next day. I was never sent home again for low totals, even when we had really ghetto campaigns. That was before we moved into the Baker Centre. It's times like this I wish I had my 2nd job to go to. Tuesday Anne and I are heading down to AW and I'm going to use their job services to get another part time job or a better full time job. I'd love to do a security guard job again, like the Pacific Rim Mall (PRM) location I had in 1994. I only had 3 days from 7-2am and I got a ride home every night. At that time it was only $7 hour. The PRM has 2 levels and mostly occupied at that time with karaoke, video and gift shops for the Asian community. It also had a dinning facility and a bank as it's 2 major tenants. Getting to the site from my place in the West end was hard, which is why I quit. I should have kept it. I wouldn't mind a site like that now. I did 1 round every 2 hours. I sat down reading books most of the time and writing. That was my second time with Whacken Hut. I don't think they exist any more. I tried finding them awhile ago but no luck. A job like that would be ok. That's what I thought Inner-tech was in 1999 but no way. HO needs to get a grip, this is not Victoria or Ottawa with a 8% something unemployment rate. Only one phrase comes to mind: Boiler room operation.

This afternoon it's more of the same as last night. I got another 4 hour shift and Saturday is a 7.5 hour shift. I'm looking online and in the paper for something else but it's more of the same as what I'm doing now. Tuesday is when I turn it up a notch. Anyway that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment