Thursday, February 20, 2014

My sister in law is on a 7 day

Caribbean cruse on the "Oasis of the sea." Anne's been following her sister on her cruise with our iPad and the ship's web cam. Right now Anne's sister is in Mexico and before that Hatti. Then they sail back to Fort Lauderdale Saturday morning and back to, shudder...Manitoba. My wife's sister is a close friend of our family and is always sending me birthday and Christmas cash. Anne was invited to go on the cruise with her sister and Anne would only need a few hundred dollars spending money. She said she couldn't leave me and the cats alone for 7 days. Yeesh. I said go. I'd even give here the cash but she turned it down. Seven days on the "Oasis of the sea" no less and everything paid for. Mostly my wife is afraid of flying and has nothing to do with me. 

Somewhat related to the above on my afternoon commute yesterday we had a bit of snow but it was wet Spring type snow. We're supposed to get back into a cold snap but it's going to get around -15, -18 in that area. Nothing serious. Last year in the middle of March, we had about 14 inches of snow on the ground that left us about late April.

I'm closing in on the end of "Horus Rising", Warhammer 40k. I want to read a bit more before bed. Hopefully I'll have it finished before the end of this month. Up next, book #2: "False Gods" but that's my March read. Or I might just read a Western instead, I don't know yet.

Inspired by the potential of what the iPad can do for music creation (which is why I bought the iPad. (about 2 years ago) Earlier last night before supper, I bought a program from the app store called “Audiobus,” for $5 bucks. This program is kind of like a DAW Rewire but for the iPad. Audiobus lets iPad music programs "talk" to each other through a signal chain. I might end up getting “Sample tank” Pro ($40) for the iPad. Sample tank isn’t a full daw but it can talk to Cubasis. I already own Sample tank, which has a ton of midi and acoustic instruments for the PC. Cubasis is a daw for the iPad, a version of it’s bigger brother Cubase, which I already own on my laptop. Sample tank is from IK media that makes products like iRig midi (plus many others), which I already own as well. Also, there is a competitor to Native Instruments Guitar Rig that works with the iPad: Amplitube and they have a ton of virtual stomp boxes that work well with Sample tank. For example, (in theory) I can open Sample tank in Audiobus with Cubasis with my midi controller keyboard. It’s all in the signal chain. Cubasis is a $50 program and Sample tank is $40 and both can do mix downs and share to social media sites. The only problem is, Anne uses the iPad more then I do. She takes it with her to work and if I need to work on a beat on the train or home early before she does, I’m sol. For music production I think I’m still better off with the pc for about the same price as a 32 Gb iPad. Also with the PC I can still use Maschine and Komplete 8 etc. Still the iPad is yet another option.

Normally by now, I'd have my pay stub from my employer in my email. This way, I know how much I'm getting on Friday and what to work with. The delay might be because of the Family Day long weekend but I should have had the pdf pay stub in my email by now. Anyway, that's about all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment