Saturday, November 23, 2013

I had a bit of trouble falling asleep this morning

as I think I got maybe 4 hours in or so, maybe 4.5.

Weather wise it's not to bad out there. It's about -8. We could be in for a nice couple of days.

Just when I think things on the job were going to be ok covering the basics, the revised schedule is posted. Because the numbers are dropping (survey completions) they reduced the hours. It looks like I'm only getting 3 part time days losing 3. This is going to go like this until the middle of January? They got  us down Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Sorry but that doesn't pay the rent. The worst of this is, I don't have a Plan B. My wife will get the bad news Wednesday night. I have a good cheque to cover December rent wise and my lodge dues are covered. There's no room for extra's. I sent a resume off to where my wife works. She said they went through there hiring binge in the Summer. I'm going to stop into their office Monday afternoon and see what's available. I know 2 people that work there, my wife and their training person. I'm going to try for 3 days/week, Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays. It pays minimum wage. I have a few other options. The other option is a work from home thing. I can do that after work and Thursday/Friday. I'm short $150 for my bottom line every 2 weeks. The only trouble with working from home is I need a computer that can keep up without crashing and a 2nd telephone. It can't be a cell phone and I'll need a head set. I can get the other line in through another service provider besides the one I have now is slightly compromised. The reason for the 2nd land line is so they can call in saying the calls are slow it's time to log off or that sort of thing. I've got a couple of other options before it gets to that though. One thing is certain, I'm going to have another part time job or a better full time one before the end of the year. 

So this weekend is the Alberta PC leadership convention. Now it's no secret that I raise the PC flag but I personally am not confident in our current leader. She has a track record of not keeping her campaign promises and the last budget hurt sectors of our Province like education cuts (which were not necessary) She cuts back $65 million, and then a few months later she says, after various institutions like the University of Alberta and Calgary, scramble to meet those cuts, oh look I've got this ahem unexpected amount of $14 million with more to follow." She's playing both sides against the middle. Most likely she'll retain her mandate as Premier which will take her until the next provincial election. I especially didn't like the way she is dealing with BC's liberal leader Christy Clark over the Gateway pipeline. She's doing ok for the Keystone pipeline. Her leadership review is done and votes are cast by the end of the day.

Today I'm out for my last Saturday for the year at least at this place. Although I could be working weekends somewhere else this time next weekend. At this point nothing is set up. Like I said I have a few options. One of them is cashing in on my unemployment insurance if I can do that while working part time. I was going to do this as a last resort but it's not like it take 6-8 weeks to get a claim processed anymore. It's usually done within a month. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment