Friday, June 13, 2014

Slight change of plans

as I asked the boss for today off instead of Saturday because there are more hours for Saturday. I get 7, instead of 4. Besides, if the Stanley Cup game is tonight, I'll be able to see it and if that's not enough, there's the Esks first pre season game and Smackdown. I have the night off to myself as a bonus.

My train yesterday arrived about 4:20pm at Corona station so I decided to take advantage of the patio at Subway and read out in the warm Sun before I headed into the office. After reading the paper in the lunchroom I logged my hours in and got right into it. I'm working from a Excel spreadsheet, so I don't need to log into a server. Work went by very slow as I didn't get one completion the whole night. I wasn't the only one. Closing time couldn't have come soon enough. 

Ahh the memories, it was this weekend 34 years ago, was the first Sherwood park "Medieval days." This was a defining moment in my life because of that weekend I was able to resolve the weekend before when my girl friend dropped me. That was part of it, but it was also special because as the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) was the guest of honor at the event. I was flirting with the SCA, not that I was a member or anything. I was asked by the head of our dignitaries to lead the parade as hundreds of people watched. Why I was signaled out I don't know. Later the SCA was asked to meet in a huge nearby city building. We didn't know what to expect but we were surprised when we entered the building in darkness. The lights came as we looked up and saw thousands of people gave us a standing ovation. I always thought this was the Sherwood park arena but it was the leisure center. We sat down at specially designated tables and apparently they had a nice buffet arranged for the SCA and the organizers. Many of my colleagues at the time were disappointed shortly after organizers of this event began to play contemporary music and people would get up and dance. Some of us walked out in protest. It was quite a weekend. After looking at Google maps, the whole area where we had "Medieval Days" has changed drastically. The main grounds is now a man made lake. There's the Sherwood park arena, a baseball diamond, a foot race track, Festival Place and residential development. Thirty four years can do that.

Fast forward to 2014. I got home last night shortly before 10pm. Anne made me a burrito platter, we watched the news and I'm enjoying my Innis-Gunn original beer. 

I'm going to try and read my book for a bit before bed and get up around noon today. Anyway that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment