Saturday, June 4, 2011

A few of us

at work later this afternoon are heading out to Kelley's. It's a pub I've never been in before, a block away from our old office. I don't have a Canuck Jersey but the idea is to have a couple of cold ones and cheer on the team. It's game #2 tonight. So, I'll be there having a good time. Hopefully it'll be done by 9:30pm and I can scoot home before Anne even knows I'm gone. That's the plan.

I had a decent week this week but nothing that will keep me in the business room. So management hired about 3 new people and brought them in to "replace" James and I, because our line our over the last few weeks hasn't been very good. Thing is with these kinds of things we've been doing the line hour (lh) hasn't been very good except for the 2 tap shooters. With 4 weeks doing ad space etc for a baseball game few people care about in a NDP economy barely on life support. We have on a good day about 12 of us. So 10 of us are doing cold calling. After sifting out all the Government's, Head Offices, non for profits, not in services, "Gate keepers"(reception) "out of the office," voice mails, we might get someone we can actually pitch to. "We don't have a budget for that sort of thing." Occasionally we can luck out and get an ad or a sponsorship. And then there's the competition out there as well, so Winnipeg isn't very good and it's Winnipeg, basically responsible for my line hour. So now the new people have avoided Winnipeg. We have about about 4-6 people that are returns but rarely put in a full week. I think there are maybe 6 of us that are steady, there all the time and the boss wants to move us over to res. The trend I see in all this is that show up for three days and put in 2 good days and that will keep you there in the business room.

So I think it was Thursday the boss said I'm working 9am-6pm for 2 weeks. So I'm back days. James, who is joining me said something about how if you work to 7pm, you can buy an extra day and have like a day off. I don't know what's up with that. This is a two week campaign. Now I don't have a problem working those hours especially when then game is not a West coast game. I'd be very interested to see how many of the new people can put up the numbers James and I can on a good day. One of the new people after 3 days on the campaign managed to get his first sale. This guy is like a dead fish. The two women are ok but I don't see lasting two weeks little alone the month. I think what the boss is trying to do is to see how many summer time people he can hire He might find a couple "winner-winner chicken dinner's" to replace us but at minimum wage, most of these people won't last long when a block up the street some companies doing exactly the same thing we're doing, pay twice as much but for double the work as well Anyway, that's about all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment