Monday, July 18, 2011

Linux even

took out my wifi devices but even took out Google Earth I had on my windows desktop. I thought I'd go into Ubuntu and see if I can get a Linux version of Google earth but I can't even find the programs. I was going to get Vinny to help me with Linux. He said something about refreshing hardware devices. I tried finding out where this is but for the life of me, I have no clue. He wasn't there Saturday. Hopefully Saturday I can bring my laptop with me and head out to L&M to be there at 9am when they open and pick up my Sibelius 6 (standard) go get my breakfast and then into the office for my 4 hours and then head over to his place where he has an Internet connection and he can do all that for me there. Then when I get home I can have some fun with Sibelius 6 and get some song ideas down.

Often I find myself over there at Dennis Hurds blog. Unlike myself he always has something interesting to read. I visit his blog several times a week for my New Westminster connection because I used to live downtown New West as the locals call it, in the mid 1970's. Dennis has a nice photo for his blog today of a park I myself often visited as a young man in my early 20's when the weather was good. I envy Dennis and the little park he has access to. I miss having a little place of solitude for myself like that. Sure we have a little walkway just out back here, as in this photo take today. Its a nice walkway and at one time there used to be a bench to sit but that's long gone now. Because its summertime, there are lots of kids out here today and this little place out here is a high traffic area. A small park out here like the one Dennis has wouldn't survive long. It'd be littered with trash or some drunk would piss in it or all kinds of things. We even had a small tree out here the city tried to plant complete with yellow warning tape but the tree didn't survive the winter or was abused by kids.    


Texting and using a cell phone behind the wheel while driving is controversial no doubt about it. There are lots of cases where accidents have happened because of this. Even some fatalities. Our city has put a cell phone/texting bylaw in place and if your caught driving and texting or using a cell phone, its a fine. But that's all its going to be until some politicion's son, wife, daughter whatever is on the receiving end of an accident bearing in mind something close to home. That's the only time any real action is going to get done with this. I got to thinking what could be done to make people wake up about the dangers of these kind of shenanagans. The City loves these red light cameras as its a cash cow. So why not have spy cams at various points of the city take a front photo to get the propertrator caught doing the deed and a back photo to get the license plate. The best part about this is, the cameras can be changed so even though drivers might learn there is a camera at one location, they think, "just get the word out" but then move the camera. This way, drivers won't know where where the cameras will beat any given time. This will stop using cell phones and texting dead in its tracts. The above is a pro active approach. The other thing is, increase the texting rates and watch the usage go down. The first idea is better though. 

The other thing is I tried (again) to download Google earth using the Google chrome installer, which installed Google chrome (naturally) on my site to replace IE7 as my default web browser. I opened up my blog post and the browser changed my functions. I can't do spell check and the font itself changed and to make matters worse, I can't copy, my work here, only paste. I lost a good blog post learning this the hard way. Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment