Monday, July 25, 2011

I'll spare the gory

details about my cold which came upon me Saturday night. I thought by going out to the movies and dinner latter, I'd feel better. Yeah, right. As soon as I'd lay down my throat got sorer my eyes began to water. Diet pop helped to keep my throat cool but I couldn't sleep. About 5am I decided to get up and read for 40 minutes or so and then I tried going back to bed. No luck. I  thought maybe watch some TV and I slept on the couch for a bit, then I decided to go back to bed. Sleep came hard but I did get some.

When I got up this afternoon about 1:40pm to watch G4 there was the ATOTS hosts interviewing Mark Hamil and somebody else. I wished I could have seen the whole interview.

Tonight Its Monday Night Raw a week after the fallout of the Vince McMahon being "relieved" A new era in WWE? We'll see.

While I have some free time here this afternoon, I was musing about my twenties. (This probably came about by seeing Mark Hamil on G4 this morning.) In 1970 I was 18 years old. I wasn't into a lot of TV back then. Fresh off my back operation recovery in 1968 I was still also recovering from the 1960's. When I was 15 years old I wanted to get into music. My back operation set me back. My buddy Dave Winfield at the time was into learning the guitar. I couldn't afford one. Another friend of ours "John Roddick" had a drum kit in his parents garage. He was learning to play Dave was learning to play but me, I was still trying to get out of high school in 1970. My back operation took 2 years out of my life back then. I was living with my family on Regan Ave trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. A turning point in my life was when dad had packed up the family to Edmonton in 1973. My sister Martha was living in Victoria BC, so was Rick. Jeff and Mike were the only ones in Edmonton. So I struggled remaining behind in New Westminster BC (lower mainland) I met my friend Charles in the fall of 1973. At this time I was really into Wargaming and writing. In 1974-75 I was working at the Army & Navy then I stayed at the Anderson place uptown New West. In 1975 I got invited to come up to Edmonton to visit the family. I remember seeing the Pink Panther movie that summer. I worked in Calgary in 1976/77 doing various odd jobs there. I left back to New West and the Anderson place when Calgary didn't work out and I applied for UIC (EI today) I was having some trouble with other tenants in the Anderson place (boarding house) a looking for an apartment. I got a windfall of backlog EI money bought a portable color TV a stereo. It was this time May I moved out of the Anderson place and found a real dive of a building right on the grounds where the current Douglas College is. It was around this time I was on EI and the up coming movie Star Wars was the "talk of the town." This was another turning point in my life. In August of that year I got a letter from mom inviting me up to Edmonton for Mike's wedding the weekend before my 26th birthday. I decided to stay in Edmonton and never looked back.

The thing is, I was never trained in anything like music or acting or the arts. I never had an interest for anything like that as a kid in the 60's and my parents never had the money for any of the kids to pursue anything like that. Anyway that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment