Friday, August 9, 2013

I had a pretty good evening doing

 computer research last night and following the CFL game. I more or less narrowed it down but I probably wont be able to buy until my hours are more or less stable. Maybe around the end of September.

I arrived in Edmonton August 16th 1978 to come up for my brothers wedding. If it was for that wedding invitation, most likely I’d still be in New Westminster. I had learned that my brother Mike and his wife had split up closing in on 35 years of marriage. This was a real shock to the system.

Not just the above but as I mentioned in my last post today marks the official day Tuesday August 9th 1988 when as I was brining in my cheese burger platter in from Joes a café in the basement of the boardwalk next door. I walked in as Bob had the receiving doors opened. “They just traded Gretzky.” Huh what? Bob turned up the radio. I heard the bad news and couldn’t believe it . I lost my appetite after that but I ate my lunch feeling ill. I cried that whole month. I don’t mean tears of grief crying but it really affected me. 25 years latter the ripple affects are still felt around the NHL. If we kept Gretzky no doubt we would have won another 3-4 Cups. I honestly believe though that better days for the Oiler’s are ahead as soon as they get out of Rexall place. Will they win another Stanley Cup? I hope they will in my life time.

So when I heard about Mike’s marriage  ending before it saw their 35th sours the whole day. Mike’s marriage the 25th anniversary of #99 has a foreboding sense of marking of one era and sealing the fate of another so close to home.

I’m going into work for a easy 4 hours and then a bite to eat and off to Londonderry mall shop around at Army & Navy and then grab a cold one and then home to watch the Riders/Stamps CFL game.

Other then that not much going on for the weekend. Sunday Anne and I are going out to Royal Pizza. I like to visit Chapters and see what they have there. Other then that not much is going on. Anyway that’s all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment