Sunday, August 4, 2013

There are still a few

Horus Heresy books in that series to pick up and I think I can get "Fallen Angel's" when we go to WEM on the 18th to see Summer slam. "Fallen Angel's" is the only book missing from the series I have so far that's right in the middle of the series because Audrey's supplier didn't have it. So when we go to WEM that day Anne wants to go see something else other then Summer slam and after I get my ticket I'm going Games Workshop to see about picking the above book up and the August issue of "White Dwarf." Well, that's the general idea.

As for today I'm working on a composition that I've been tinkering around with. I've must have had about a dozen stops and starts to this track but it's a work in progress. 

The laptop I'm currently working with for music production wasn't designed for that in mind when I bought it late 2009. It was just an every day laptop. In the last 3 years I've been "working at" this, I've been acquiring various components. Once I get the various pieces together I can begin and that's where the upgrade to my desktop comes in. Once I get that completed, I can start but I'm doing a couple of demo tracks in the meantime.

We're in the middle of "Heritage days" weekend here in Edmonton. I first came to Edmonton the (City I call Home) was just before my birthday week about August 16th on Via rail 1978. Hard to believe that was 35 years ago. The upcoming weekend of the 19th the day after I go see Summer slam is the 35th wedding anniversary of my brother Mike and his wife Doris. That deserves a special nod. It was that wedding that brought me to Edmonton in the first place. When I got here there was lots of buzz about this up-and-coming hockey kid, Wayne Gretzky that might be playing for the Edmonton Oiler's. 

There were several factors that made me stay here in Edmonton rather then live in the lower mainland. First of all the economy. I had been unemployed from the time I left Calgary in May of 1977. I was unemployed that whole year and my prospects of finding employment there were not great in the lower mainland. I was on unemployment insurance living in a apartment I couldn't afford. I had all my stuff in New Westminster. I had even bought a new stereo and color TV when I received a lot of unemployment back pay and I had a ton of wargames books etc. When I bought the TV and stereo I had no idea I'd live in Edmonton a few weeks latter. I probably could have returned gathered my things and shipped everything to Edmonton but it was more hassle then it was worth. Besides I had no resources to return to New West to get my stuff together and the land lady would have wanted a months rent in advance and that I didn't have. I'm sure before the end of that month I would have had enough saved for a return flight, settled everything and have my stuff shipped but it would have been too much of a hassle. It was easier to cut my losses and begin with a fresh start and I was 25 years old. The second thing that decided me to live here was family. I had most of my family established here. The other deciding factor was Edmonton was a smaller city and easier to get around although I didn't like the prospect of winter looming on the horizon there was and is lots to do here. In September 1979 my parents said they were moving back to Coquitlam to retire but by that time I had a job and I didn't mind and the rest is history.

Speaking about Heritage days and all Anne and I went a couple of years ago. The other thing about Edmonton I've been noticing then and now, is the demographic makeup of the City has changed. In 1978 if you lived here, you'd be hard pressed find any African Americans. We didn't have a Muslims population like we do today and there were no women wearing robes or covering there faces in black hoods. We always had a ethnic population here in Edmonton and that's great and is good for the city but lets face it the only reason the population ethnicity growth here is because of the economy. If it wasn't for the economy many of the people mentioned above wouldn't even be here. Too be honest same here. In 1978 according to this site Edmonton's population was just over 478,000 people. We're now at 817,498. Our population has almost doubled in the last 35 years. I like Edmonton because it still has that mid size feel to it. The above are observations nothing more then that. Anyway, that's about all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment