Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I'm rushing a bit to catch my 2pm bus to head towards Clareview station yesterday afternoon

and some guy holds up the bus outside as soon as I board. The next stop someone boards and the stop behind the theaters and someone gets off. There's a train but as soon as I reach fir the elevator button, the elevator goes up without me and the train is gone when I'm on the platform, Yeesh.

Corona station on track 1 (my side for my home commute) is blocked off as city crews are working on the edge where the train comes by because a year or so ago a man's wife slipped off the train concourse and got hit and killed by a oncoming train. Because of this the city is putting this bubble type of material on the edge. I think it's hard stone or maybe even of steel molded construction type material. The City has been working on this since Spring and Summer along the whole line. Every stop along the system map has had this modification. It's a minor inconvenience because even though I can get off at Corona on my commute into work I either have to walk 2 blocks East along Jasper Avenue to Bay Station or take the train West where I can board a Clareview train further South along the line at Grandin and then catch the Clareview train home from there. The City is doing all edges by the track this way. Its a good thing. After they do track 1 then they block off track 2 when they're done track 1. This means when track 2 is blocked off I'll have to get off at bay station and walk a block from there West towards the office. That wont be until around the end of the month.

I had a pretty good shift on the job though for the first half and had an even better shift during the 2nd half. It was a decent 5.5 hours. I had to modify my schedule for the week for this weekend. Hopefully the boss will be in today to see the changes.

With some colleague after work we waited at Corona and just as I was coming down the escalator there was the Clareview train on track 2 pulling out. It doesn't stop obviously but slows down because of work crews. Then as we got out at Grandin there was another Clareview train on track 2 leaving Grandin. That's been the theme for my day. "Lets put obstacle's in Jimmy's way today." 

When I got to Clareview station the last #183 was just pulling in. With all that's been going on for my day I thought, I better hustle to get this before it leaves. When I got there a white City van with emergency lights but not activated was in the bus stall ahead beside the passenger bus bench. Some-body lying on it, and then the Police arrived with flashing lights. At the set of lights just out here I heard a emergency alarm from a ambulance and flashing lights heading from behind the theaters. Possibly related to the incident at Clareview. 

Then when I got inside our apartment Anne said she had a blackout in our building for a couple of hours while I was at work. This was a leading story at 11pm on our local news. Apparently a outage affected all over the Londonderry area and even Rexall place where the Oil Kings were playing and the power went off during the hockey game. Even the LRT from Clareview to Rexall was out of action as the power outage affected about 20,000 residences for 2 hours. 

I was able to call our lodge secretary when I got home and Dan said that one of our own members is up for a District nomination. I'm going to call him in the morning to see if he can give me a lift out there and I'll buy his festive board. There's a very good chance I'll be going to this event Saturday. There's also a important discussion on the Masters chair at the event as well.

The Oiler's on their road trip lost again to the 5-1 Pittsburgh Penguins. We got 3 back-to-back #1 first round draft picks and we still can't win a hockey game. Now the Oiler's are 1-5-1!  Up next New York Islanders and another loss.

On my plate for today, not much is going on. I'm going to get into more Lodge stuff tonight when I come home. It's been a long post and that's about all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment