Saturday, October 5, 2013

Poor Jimmy in the dog house again over something I didn't do

so my wife claims somebody took a knife to the heel of her shoe and I get accused of it. This is causing her some pent up misplaced anger directed at yours truly. I looked at the heal of her shoe and it's on the side of the heal and it looks like a natural gouge based on ware (cheep shoe) but nothing worth getting upset about. So now I get that silent contemptible treatment a "I'm a piece of shit" attitude. The proverbial cold shoulder, venom. Sigh, some days I wonder if getting married was worth it.

Yesterday I headed out about 5pm and I cashed in a free 6/49 ticket I had time left over to go over to Audrey's to pick up a Warhammer 40K (Space Marine Battles) special order CD waiting for me: "The Ascension of Balthasar." Good stuff. I got that and headed into the office for my 4 hours. 

I'm pulling in a 5.5 hour day today in at 10 and out by 4pm. I'm going to miss our game Al's/Esks because it's a 1:30pm Edmonton start. I'm hoping to leave out of here at 8:30am to get some breakfast at Tim's at 9am and slowly work my way over to the office. If we get out at 4pm as I think we will, I might treat myself and go over to Wendy's over here on 50th street for a baconator burger combo. Then walk home to catch the Oiler/Canuck game. I think it's on CBC but I saw no mention of it on the Oiler website. If not, I'll catch what's left of the Bomber's/Stamps game, we'll see.

About computer stuff. The other thing I wanted to mention more of a "note to self"reminder. I thought well best thing to do if I can't get a affordable laptop at Future Shop/Best Buy because they are usually sold out, is to build my own. That meant getting the parts at a local retail/warehouse shop here. Or buy a desktop PC at said shop and they have some nice models for about $1,000. This would mean binging my laptop all the way over to the South Side near Gateway blvd and get the parts and have them build it clone my laptop hard drive, test it and haul it home on the train. It would take about 2 hours to build it, and test it, and clone the laptop drive. It's an hour trip there and back. I'd be looking at about 4-5 hours. That's if they aren't busy. I'd be taking my chances. So I was at Future Shop's website yesterday before I left for work and wondered, "Do they have any mATX motherboards?" I typed in the search field and yes they do. Both ATX and mATX. The have cases, power supplies, O/S's, Ram, hard drives, video, sound cards, DVD/blue ray drives. Everything the other place on the south side has and it's right across the street. Plus they have a dedicated tech shop. I'm thinking about buying the pieces one at a time and then bring them all in say on a Saturday after work, and I'll probably have the same wait time but I won't have to waste 2 hours going to the south side. I'm considering after my Wendy's is to head over to Future Shop after work. Maybe I might be able to even upgrade this desktop I have and put a mATX board in. Maybe I've got something here. I emailed some photos of the inside of this desktop.

I got a lot of hours this week. First of all tomorrow, 1-8pm. Then Monday 6-10pm, Tuesday I'm off visiting Edmonton #7 for their installation and to do a little promotion for my own (if I get there) Their guy was over at our elections Thursday night handing out business cards. Our secretary suggested I do the same but I don't have a printer. He suggested I email him a design this weekend and when he's at their installation with me, he'll give me about a dozen cards so I can hand  out during the course of the evening. So that's Tuesday night. Wednesday I'm in (tentatively) from 3-10 for 6.5 hours and, same for Thursday, and Friday. Saturday is similar to today and because of the long weekend, I'll have Sunday and Monday off. I should be out of the "dog house" after this weekend. By Tuesday at the earliest, Thursday at the latest. These things don't last very long. That's my week ahead if it holds. The challenging aspect of doing market research work as a job, is that its all project based. Nobody unless they are retired or have another job can survive on this type of work. Some projects last for 2 weeks part time, others can be full time hour days for 3 months. There might be a week or two even between projects. I've been lucky able to avoid field work like some of my colleagues and except for August always had a paycheck even though they've been small ones. I don't see myself doing this kind of thing much longer. Hopefully by the Spring I'll have something lined up that not only pays better but gives me steady hours.  Anyway, that's about all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment