Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Finally its now Christmas eve

and I'm about to have a bit of down time for myself. Anne is watching her shows. We got Christmas snacks and 3 days off! I'm back Friday, Saturday.

Anne's going to check it out of course but we're going to try and go to our local Swiss Chalet just down the block. I'm having a burger and a beer. Then we're coming home having a relaxing night and open presents.

I09 has a great video response to Michio Kaku's surprisingly weak critique of Alcor's life extension foundation, cryonics. I'm no expert on this but I find it a fascinating topic. Kaku thinks that cryonics is mainly for the rich that want to live forever. According to Alcor's spokes person, it doesn't work like that. The idea is that after a doctor has tried everything to treat a patient and failed as part of said patient's life insurance policy at just a few dollars/day can have their body frozen. The idea is when the science is there at a future date say 2-3 decades out that person can be revived or thawed. The problem now is that we can't as far as I know actually freeze much less thaw a human body. It hasn't been done, yet. Or even if it can be done. Then there's brain and cell damage in the meantime. However, science has been able to clone a sheep. There are some interesting questions about freezing a human being for future thawing out. Where do we keep the hundreds, perhaps millions of bodies? There are lot of unknowns and conditionals, like cell ice expansion. Yet these are problems of today, not 2-3 decades away. Also, what if companies like Alcor fall victim to economic downturns and file for bankruptcy? Also, how much power would it cost to keep one individual frozen for a day, month or decades? Where are they going to be stored? What happens if there is some kind of natural l disaster?

Work yesterday went by ok I fucked up on the job a couple of times but nothing serious. On my way out by Starbucks I slipped on some black ice and skinned my knee as we were receiving a bit of freezing rain downtown on my way home about 10pm. 

I fixed my blog intro above and I want to make a better banner to reflect what I'm currently into. If I covered everything in the intro just  below the banner it would take almost a whole page by itself. Anyway that's about all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment